J frame carry ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about all this recoil yall speak of. I ain't making fun, maybe I just don't notice it. I don't think my Alaskan recoils either, but it is a much heavier weapon, but still full house .44 mag it handles really well.
Regardless, golddots, underwood ammo, most any premium hollow point or wadcutter will get the job done.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Recoil, of course, depends on the person pulling the trigger. I find the Underwood black cherry coated wadcutters to be fairly mild shooting. They are a standard pressure load. The recoil to me is a little less than the Speer GD short bbl. or the Buffalo Bore personal defense load, both +P. They also cost half of what BB does and are readily available. All the tests I have seen shows they meet the FBI protocols. Many of the light wadcutters barely make 600 fps in a j frame and several I saw tested almost stopped in the simulated clothing barrier before making it to the gel. The Underwoods made about 850 fps in a j frame. I use GDHP SB in the speed loader or strip for ease of reload. Now, to talk about recoil. I have shot one cylinder of full bore 158gr .357 loads in my 340. My hand bled and it HURT! Never again.
The Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel load is stout in .357. I call my 340 Thumper. Here are 5 rounds slow fired at OKC Gun Club. Not a fun pistol to shoot.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I should have mentioned they grips you have on the gun make a huge difference in perceived recoil. As I developed arthritis I went to recoil reducing grips. They look larger but make little difference in the ability to pocket carry or in printing.View attachment 353293
My favorite grips for a snub are the Crimson Trace model 405's. They have a little air pocket right at the top of the backstrap that makes a snub more comfortable to shoot and still small enough not to restrict pocket carry.

Attachments

• IMG_3394.jpeg
    IMG_3394.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I don't know about all this recoil yall speak of. I ain't making fun, maybe I just don't notice it. I don't think my Alaskan recoils either, but it is a much heavier weapon, but still full house .44 mag it handles really well.
Regardless, golddots, underwood ammo, most any premium hollow point or wadcutter will get the job done.
Actually, many do not penetrate far enough in the tests I'm talking about. Do you know about any other tests that show decent penetration AND expansion from a 2 inch barrel? Lucky Gunner has also done quite a bit of testing.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait, I thought revolvers were history..
Cool to see all the interest in this firearm.
I run a 642 airweight J frame left front pocket.
Every trip to the range it gets shooting time.
Usually the Wizard Drill ran cold.
I carry it with whatever I’ve got because it always goes.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Wait, I thought revolvers were history..
Cool to see all the interest in this firearm.
I run a 642 airweight J frame left front pocket.
Every trip to the range it gets shooting time.
Usually the Wizard Drill ran cold.
I carry it with whatever I’ve got because it always goes.
More people are starting to realize a snub in the pocket is better than a larger pistol with 3 spare mags left at the house.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I say about my Karh 9mm, and my little Seecamp!...... But Wait!.... That's not all..... They both hold 7!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom