Glock 19 vs Springfield Xdm9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjtiii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was looking real hard at the Glock 19 for first handgun - but read some good things about the Xdm and handled one the other day and really liked it.
Any suggestions either way would be helpful.

fjtiii

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some people who would tell you just based simply on being a Glock or XD fan, but a few questions that might help get you a more balanced response...

a. Are you looking for something that might be suitable for conceal and carry?

b. Are you looking at it more for a fun range gun, or as a primary home defense gun

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some people who would tell you just based simply on being a Glock or XD fan, but a few questions that might help get you a more balanced response...

a. Are you looking for something that might be suitable for conceal and carry?

b. Are you looking at it more for a fun range gun, or as a primary home defense gun

I agree need to know your plans. I had a Glock 19 and currently have an XDM40. If you plan on carrying a lot, get the Glock. It's a lot lighter and easier to conceal. Any other reason it's a wash. Their both great guns.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't foget to handle a S&W M&P as well if you are looking at those two then you need to look at the M&P as well. I was doing the same comparisons about 6-8 months ago I ended up likeing the feel of the M&P best, not saying you will like it better but give it a shot.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Heres something that might help too. If you like fixing things yourself get the Glock. You cant get parts for the XD. It has to be sent back to the factory for any little thing. Ask me how I know. Wife had an XD9 for her first gun. After a couple of thousand rounds the extractor broke. Then the slide rusted over within a week of the extractor. No one would touch it. Had to send it back to Springfield. In the interim she bought a G19 and hasnt looked back. YMMV.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heres something that might help too. If you like fixing things yourself get the Glock. You cant get parts for the XD. It has to be sent back to the factory for any little thing. Ask me how I know. Wife had an XD9 for her first gun. After a couple of thousand rounds the extractor broke. Then the slide rusted over within a week of the extractor. No one would touch it. Had to send it back to Springfield. In the interim she bought a G19 and hasnt looked back. YMMV.

Their parts policy has improved some, you can even buy the striker now. It's still nothing compared to Glock's parts availability though.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The rusting slide was a problem that the standard XD's had for the 1st generation or so. They have since changed up the chemistry in the coating and haven't had a problem since then.

Latest posts

Top Bottom