$1.3 Trillion budget passes the House

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the Senate just passed it to avoid the huge crisis of another government shutdown......
Good lord do they think we are totally stupid and don't see what they are doing?

They don't care... they know there will be some bitching from a few, and in 3 days it'll all be back to business as usual. Country clubs, exclusive fine dining, flying off to remote locations on lobbyists dimes and toasting each others' successes - laughing all the way to their pensions.

It's Washington, how could one expect any less?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trust none of our representatives who voted against it. Politicians are told they can "vote their district" by their party leaders as soon as the leaders have enough votes to win.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trump didn’t have the balls to veto it after bluffing about it earlier today. It would’ve been interesting if he had.

Let’s start taking bets on whether we’ll have appropriations passed for FY19 by October 1st. Something tells me no lol...

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trump didn’t have the balls to veto it after bluffing about it earlier today. It would’ve been interesting if he had.

Let’s start taking bets on whether we’ll have appropriations passed for FY19 by October 1st. Something tells me no lol...
There's no way in hell they'll pass anything on time.
But, they have bigger issues that will be on the table soon, especially if the stawk market drops another few percent. Then the ball will be rolling...downhill.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trump signed on omnibus bill. He did not sign a budget. It's different. He can spend the money. Or not. Or he can do what O'Dummy did, viz. spend it on other things. And Congress didn't stop O'Dummy. There's a precedent here.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/18/fears-grow-trump-will-ignore-congress-spending-241768

Interesting.
There is a lot of questions here. It's well known in political/budget circles that if you get an allocation in the budget and don't spend it, you will be docked that amount the next budget.
If money managers in each political geographical area that got allocations to maintain facilities could say they dont
need it, and they would not be reprimanded for doing so, getting a bonus for maintenance at the lowest cost that met the requirements for basic needs be rewarded?
There are pitfalls for this process, but its a way out of the the current process where if money is not spent, you lose the money.
Financial responsibility is the term I'm looking for.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd also point out that he played an ace card today. He told congress to give him the line item veto on spending bills. Lets just see how a majority in both houses defend not giving it to him, if they dare. And little Mitchy in the senate got told to ditch the filibuster rules too. I'm really really hoping he's playing the high stakes game, because the stakes really are high with him signing this piece of garbage. I'm relatively certain he knows this.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd also point out that he played an ace card today. He told congress to give him the line item veto on spending bills. Lets just see how a majority in both houses defend not giving it to him, if they dare. And little Mitchy in the senate got told to ditch the filibuster rules too. I'm really really hoping he's playing the high stakes game, because the stakes really are high with him signing this piece of garbage. I'm relatively certain he knows this.

I've been an advocate for the line Item veto for many years. It can work against us if the other party is in office though.
The ability to carry in a national park was slipped in by an Oklahoma person in congress and Obama had to sign it to get his bill passed

Latest posts

Top Bottom