10/22 Cleaning hole mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would prefer to strip the rifle for cleaning then to drill the receiver.

But on a 10/22 that would require you to remove the barrel from the receiver with a solid cleaning rod, or clean from the muzzle which most don't like to do. Drilling a hole in the rear of a 10/22 receiver allows you to clean from the rear and the hole in the receiver acts as a bore guide.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would prefer to strip the rifle for cleaning then to drill the receiver.

You still have to strip the receiver to run a rod down the bore after you've drilled the back of the receiver for the cleaning rod. The hole just lets you run a cleaning rod from the chamber to the muzzle. I figure if you are shooting enough to justify stripping the rifle down to clean the inside of the receiver then you might as well be able to run a rod down it too.

I think bore snakes are fine for the times in between a detail strip and cleaning session.

gwkoch

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
But on a 10/22 that would require you to remove the barrel from the receiver with a solid cleaning rod, or clean from the muzzle which most don't like to do. Drilling a hole in the rear of a 10/22 receiver allows you to clean from the rear and the hole in the receiver acts as a bore guide.

I don't remove the barrel for cleaning. I must be missing something because I really don't see a problem with cleaning from the muzzle end. I have never had any problems with my cleanings. This may be interesting to read/learn about.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remove the barrel for cleaning. I must be missing something because I really don't see a problem with cleaning from the muzzle end. I have never had any problems with my cleanings. This may be interesting to read/learn about.

I think its a matter of personal preference whether you clean from the chamber to the crown or vice versa. Dewey makes a bore guide that slips over the muzzle to help protect crown from damage. I don't think most 22 rimfires require as frequent cleaning as centerfires maybe the 17s are different.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The whole concept of cleaning only from the chamber/breech end is WAY overblown. I mean really, me pushing a few patches down the barrel from the crown end with a perfectly clean, smooth stainless rod or plastic coated rod at about 1 foot per second, with no associated heat is going to destroy my barrel but 500 rounds of hot lead coated in copper flying out of the barrel at 2000 fps with a jet flame of burning, exploding powder behind it isn't going to be the real problem??? Let's get real.
Do I clean my AR's and bolt guns from the breech? Yes. Do I worry about 5 careful strokes from the muzzle end on my other semi-autos every once in a while? Uh...NO!!! If you're that worried about wearing out the barrel, maybe you shouldn't ever shoot it or clean it.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not about wearing out the barrel it about the fact that if you nick the crown and it don't take much and your accuracy goes to pot. The hole in the receiver well you still have to pull the action from the stock so when you tighten it back down after cleaning your POI could change would be my only concern! I guess you could get real crazy and notch the stock then add a plug so that nasty stuff would not get in or out of your reciever :wink2: but it's a 22 and well I truthfully can't recall the last time I cleaned mine out. Later,

Kirk

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I have against cleaning from the muzzle end is the possibility to damage the crown and I guess possibly scratch up the chamber if you push the brush down too far. However, if you use all brass components, I can't see it being any harder on the chamber than shell casings being forced in and pulled out..

I think anything claiming the direction of travel of whatever your cleaning with in the barrel can affect it is total B.S.

????

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep I can not imagine how you would damage the crown with plastic,aluminum or brass, brass bristles will certainly not harm a gun barrel.

Gun barrels will have a nominal hardness of 25 to 32 on the Rockwell C scale.
I dunno any cleaning kits harder than that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom