10/22 malfunction or faulty ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this should be posted here or in Ammo but I'm not sure the ammo was the problem.

Bought a used 10/22 stainless from a pawn shop a couple of years ago. After market Butler Creek .920 barrel and some kind of funky blue synthetic stock and a Burris scope. I think the serial number is about 2003 but the rifle appears fairly well used.

I took it out and couldn't hit anything with it. Was unable to zero the scope, shots all over the paper. Don't have much experience with scopes and figured it was junk. Cleaned the rifle and put it away until recently i decided it would a fun project.

Took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly at which time I discovered that the stock didn't fit well and receiver moved easily. Rather than trying to make the old stock fit I bought a Hogue (and VQ hammer and bolt kit, on backorder). Tonight I put the new stock on, remounted the scope and went out to run a few through it.

I usually use the better ammo for sighting in but decided to use Remington GBs becaue I have several boxes and it was handy. Shooting from a rest at 25 yrds it actually shot very well. A couple of rounds into mag #2 I had an explosion and the bolt was back. Good thing I had safety glasses on because powder hit me in the face. The rim was gone from the 22 casing and still partially in the chamber. Cleared the gun and inspected it. Everything looked ok.

I had some Butler Creek mags loaded with Winchester Red box and load it. Fired a couple of rounds and had a failure to feed that bent the bullet. Not too surprised because I've had feeding problems with both the mags and the Win ammo before.

So, having fired thousands of rounds of cheap 22 ammo in my life I really didn't expect another problem other than feeding. I load another mag of Rem GBs and about the 5th round I have an explosion again. Couldn't find the casing and next round failed to feed.

Gun problem or ammo problem?

Try again with better ammo or send to gunsmith?

blackknight22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The out of battery problem you had with the Remington Golden Bullet is fairly common. I have had a couple with the same ammo and a Remington 597. The Advantage Arms Glock 22 conversion kits is the only thing I have the Remington GBs for, other than that I use the Federal bulk.

The Winchester 555s & 333s in the red box have given me a few malfunctions. I noticed today at Walmart they appear to have changed it to a white box, not sure if they have changed the ammo any.

Plenty of info on the OOBs and Remington ammo over on Rimfirecentral.com

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago the old Remington SV was my standfard bullseye pistol ammo. These days I find the Remington 22's have ignition problems in some firearms while they function almost flawlessly in others. I use a lot of remington Golden Bullet in my Jarvis 1911 22 conversion unit and have few ignition failures - ca. 1% but in another conversion unit the ignition failure rate approaches 10%.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There were quite a few of those Butler Creek barrels that were out of spec.
My buddy had one. He called BC and they sent him a diff barrel. This was about 4-5 yrs ago.
Wouldn't hurt to call them and see what they have to say.
H

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had feed problems with a Sis Mosquito & a Walther P22.
The answer from both Sig & Walther was "use CCI Stingers". The Walther was an extractor fail, I had to ask them "will that make it fail to extract at a higher speed or whut?" The SIG does fine after a couple of hundred rounds. Th Walther just needed a really good cleaning, the crap in the extractor groove had to be dug out with a pic (my bad, I didn't get brutal with it before I shot it, just a normal new gun disassemble, lube, check and clean.)

Other than that, I have a couple of Ruger Standards , a 10-22 & a Nylon 66 and they seem to gobble anything with no problems.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
remington golden bullets are junk! I have never had any luck and won't buy them, I have the best luck with federal and winchester bulk.can shout a whole brick of either with no malfunctions, stock ruger charger, gen mountain barreled 10/22,& stock buckmark

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CMMG 22 bolt conversion for my AR15 would jam numerous times per magazine with the Winchester M20 ammo that is sold at Walmart. After researching the issue with my bolt it ended up being the ammo to blame for the terrible performance. I bought two packs of the "better" 22 Federal, the auto match 22 ammo, and its been running flawlessly. I have not tried the federal bulk, but I hear it should be just as reliable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom