147gr bulge 9mm question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsadave2003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to reloading and have a question. When I am loading 147gr RNFP from j/k there is a bulge that shows the profile of the bullet, then it gets a little bit skinnier, then another bulge towards the base. Like an hourglass shape, but not that pronounced. They still cycle and function well, (EXCEPT FOR CRAPPY AMERC) but they just look different than the 124gr bullets. I am using a square deal B, but I have noticed it when I load with Hornady dies too.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first 147's through a sdb did the same thing and would get stuck in my gun. Too long probably, but when I fully seated them all the way down with the handle, they shot perfect. Guess I was scared of pushing all that bullet down in the case. My cast 147's also did seem funny to the eye. Could be an illusion to 20% more lead. Lol

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's being described here is "coke bottle shape", i.e. the bullet, down to the base, is visible (barely) in the loaded case. That's okay and desirable if anything. The bullet will not be driven deeper into the case, causing a potentially very unsafe condition.

tulsadave2003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
forgive my ignorance, it looks like the only the a case gauge does is measure case length before the bullet is seated? could i just do that with a pair of calipers since i dont have a gauge yet?

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
forgive my ignorance, it looks like the only the a case gauge does is measure case length before the bullet is seated? could i just do that with a pair of calipers since i dont have a gauge yet?

Dave, remove the barrel from your firearm and it can be used as a case guage. If the round drops in and out freely, then you won't have any problems shooting it.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to reloading and have a question. When I am loading 147gr RNFP from j/k there is a bulge that shows the profile of the bullet, then it gets a little bit skinnier, then another bulge towards the base. Like an hourglass shape, but not that pronounced. They still cycle and function well, (EXCEPT FOR CRAPPY AMERC) but they just look different than the 124gr bullets. I am using a square deal B, but I have noticed it when I load with Hornady dies too.

You will always experience the coke bottle shape when reloading with carbide dies. The 9mm is a tapered case but the carbide sizer ring is of uniform diameter which results in the tapered case being slightly oversized before the expansion step. At one time one of the manufacturers made a steel die set which used a reamer that matched the original case profile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom