• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

165-168 grain 30-06 ammunition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shield1776

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
just got a Remington Semi Auto 30-06 that was my grandpas. Going to give a good cleaning and go to the range. I’ve read up on here and seen 168 grain Sierra HPBT or Auccbonds are really great Off the shelf loads. Let me know if anybody is selling some

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
just got a Remington Semi Auto 30-06 that was my grandpas. Going to give a good cleaning and go to the range. I’ve read up on here and seen 168 grain Sierra HPBT or Auccbonds are really great Off the shelf loads. Let me know if anybody is selling some
If your talking about a Remington 742, no matter what load you use, accuracy will be in the 3-5" groups at 100 yards. I've owned two, and looking around the net, there might be the anomaly that will shoot better groups, and you will be lucky if you own it.
That gun was designed for the dense woods back east where driven deer shots on the run were in the 50 yard or less range, not for the typical range in western OK where beanfield rifles are the norm.
If your in eastern OK, it might work out well. I killed many deer with mine. It's just a safe queen now.
As a reloader, I spent the price of the rifle looking for loads to make it more accurate, and had no success.
As far as bullet performance, the 165 grain HPBT is the most devastating round I've seen when it comes to turning the innards into jelly.
The 06 is what every other caliber is wanting to be but has fallen from favor because the gun manufacturers need to promote the new miracle caliber to match it, and most fall short.
Killed dozens of deer and many elk at long range with the O6 at long ranges.
The bullet it the key.

Latest posts

Top Bottom