.17/223 anyone?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think what you are talking about is the .17 Predator or .17 Tactical....I can't remember which. Lots of people are shooting that cartridge. Check with the "Woodchuck Den" on bullets and info. I would personally make sure I had at least a 1/9 twist so you can run the 30 gr bullets. The 30 gr Kindler Gold HP is what a lot of those guys are shooting and it is a coyote killer. I shoot a .17 Rem with a 1/10 twist and it will not stabilize the 30 gr but I am having great luck with the 25 gr Berger MHP. That bullet at high velocity drops them in their tracks usually. Good luck. You can ask some questions like this on the Predator Masters board and get lots of info.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I can't understand then if the 17 Rem was based off a 223 how did they get the case to stretch .036"? the 17 Rem case length is 1.796" and the 223 case length is 1.760" I have made brass from 223 cases before and the necks are just too short! and they WILL not stretch to meet the case length requirments so I just can't accept the 17 Rem was based from the 223. I can make 17 Rem brass from 204 brass with minimal trimming and you can't tell the difference unless you look at the case head. Genco, Hammett, and Kindler bullets are among my favorites Hammett's getting the nod for varmint hunting, nice little ice pick sized hole going in and nothing out but those yote inards look like a smoothie.

I have found that if you keep it under 4000fps barrel life is good and fouling is not bad at all. I run the 20 V-Max at 3950fps and can shoot and hit p-dogs for at least 100 rounds before I need to clean the barrel. A good friend of mine was talking bad about the 17 Rem until he went on a p-dog shoot with us and well he has now built a 17 FB. When I got mine 17 cal. cleaning stuff was pretty difficult to find but today with all the 17 rimfires out now cleaning stuff is easy to find and more folks are shooting the little guys. I've seen just didn't get to shoot it but a 14-222 and have read about .12 and .10 calibers, don't know that I would go with something that small but hey to all there own. Later,

Kirk

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kirk, You are completely right about the .223 cased .17. The .17 Rem comes from the .222 mag just like you said. I love the .17 Rem and it is my favorite coyote gun. Shoots like a laser, accurate, very little recoil and kills them dead. I was talking about my .17 Rem in my previous post but telling him that many guys are shooting the .223 based .17 and it is a different animal...ie the .17 Tactical. I would not think there was enough difference in them to make any difference in real hunting situations.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 17 Tac is a heck of a slick little round that is for the most part right there with the 17 Rem. brass is easy to form and will save you from the Remington brass at $42 a hundred last time I looked. There are many a 17 cal wildcats that are awesome rounds I just went with the 17 Rem due to normal dies and load data was easy to find at the time I got mine. I sold my 22-250 when I found the Hammett bullets for yote it just kills them dead and I have yet to get a death dance from a yote they just pile up with the 17 Rem and if you keep pelts it doesn't get any better than the 17 centerfire rounds.

I was talking about the post from jbarnett about the 17 Rem being based off the 223 parent case, can't believe everything you read on the internet especially when there is just no way possible to make 17 Rem brass from a 223 don't care who said it cause the brass will not fireform that much if it would I would be forming brass from the thousands of 223 cases I have. I'm not trying to stir up anything but the 17 Rem got a bad rap and most of the negative words about them tend to be from folks that have never owned one. Ok I admit it I have a soft spot in my heart for the little 17 Rem LOL. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom