.17/223 anyone?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 17 Rem and to those that say barrel life is short have you shot out a barrel or is this what you heard from your buddies? I have 1345 rounds down a CZ 527 tube and can hit pennies at 100 yards all day long.

17-223 IS NOT a 17 Remington! 17 Remington is the 222 Mag necked down with shoulder bumped back.

If it were me I would make a straight 17 Remington or a 17-204 which is about the same as the 17 Rem for the most part. The 17 Rem is a heck of a little round IF and only IF you reload! factory rounds suck! you need to get good bullets to hunt yotes and cats and you will not be able to find these bullets in any store around here! I know back when all the folks that said the 17 Remington was a bad round were when Remington was making the barrels and well they couldn't make a 17 Rem barrel that would not foul up and accuracy go to shat, if you want a 17 caliber barrel get a custom and do yourself a favor make sure it's a hand lapped barrel and 1-9 twist so you can shoot the heavier than 25gr bullets. The 20gr V-Max will put a p-dog 4-5 feet in the air and make jackrabbits explode! the 27.5gr. Hammett bullets will drop a yote so fast it's not funny and you can see the bullets hit. If you want some good solid information on the small rounds from people that know what they are talking about take a look at the link. Later,

Kirk

http://www.saubier.com/forum.html

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The New 17 Remington Changed Everything
In 1971 Remington changed the entire 17 caliber world by offering factory [17 Rem] rifles, ammunition, brass, and bullets to those shooters who were so inclined. [Editor's Note: In 1971 Remington introduced the factory 17 Remington cartridge. Officially a .223 Remington necked down to 17 caliber, it was, in fact, much closer to the 17-222 wildcat in dimensions and case capacity.

This is from 6mmbr.com
I don't know how many rounds mine has had through it but my gunsmith said it was about time for a new barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom