1911 conversion, 1911-22, or Ruger 22/45?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m becoming, or would like to become, a 1911 guy and am considering adding a 1911 .22. Didn’t take long to burn through several hundred $ of 45acp in only a couple of sessions with my current XD45 and new 1911. I will load some of my own but enjoy shooting .22 and like the idea of shooting the 1911 platform more frequently to train as well as just for fun. I’ve read many googled searches comparing Ruger 22/45 vs conversion and conversion vs. 1911-22 and would appreciate OSA thoughts and discussion on the subject.

What I’ve gathered so far:

Ruger 22/45 – cool looking gun with the rails and threaded barrel; great reputation and I’m sure a fine shooter. Many of the threads I’ve read state that while the grip angle and mag release are 1911ish and it is a good shooter, it still isn’t a 1911. (Already own and love to shoot Browning Buck Mark URX)

Conversions seem to be pretty popular for allowing one to practice cheaply with competition or carry gun. I like the idea of being able to holster a .22 in the same holster as my 45acp. Not much difference in price between conversion and a dedicated .22 pistol (except Kimber Rimfire Target).

1911-22 – Several on the market right now. The cheaper Chiappa and American Classic have some fans and not too expensive. Colt is built by Umarex and the new Browning is not full scale. Don’t want to spend the $ on Kimber Rimfire unless I found a bargain used one. As far as I can tell, that leaves the GSG/Sig.

What would you choose and why?
Thanks

Last edited:

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I own both a 22/45 and a 1911 I wouldn't compare them together as a truly viable training aid mainly because of how the slide is pulled back if you were to be doing malfunction drills, so therefore I would go with either a conversion kit or the GSG 1911.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Beware of the Umarex/Colt. I haven't heard anything yet about the .22 caliber 1911 they've put out, but the .22 AR15 made by them turned out to be a real P.O.S. I would wait until you hear some good reports of that one before you buy it.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beware of the Umarex/Colt. I haven't heard anything yet about the .22 caliber 1911 they've put out, but the .22 AR15 made by them turned out to be a real P.O.S. I would wait until you hear some good reports of that one before you buy it.

I've not heard any reviews either other than you have to use high pressure ammo in order for the slide to work properly......I dunno?

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I dunno either, I'm just leary of Umarex now because of how bad the Colt .22 AR was.
The 1911 could turn out to be a really great and reliable gun, but I'm not putting MY money towards testing it, I'll wait for some reviews to come out first.

I keep hearing great things about the GSG 1911 though, you might contact 88mchog I think he's got one that he's been happy with. He offered to let me shoot it if I met up with him at the range but I got busy and couldn't make it last time.

Hitokiri03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of really good reviews about the GSG and the only real complaint I have heard that hasn't already been addressed by the manufacturer is that the finish wears faster than desired. I would go with the GSG or the conversion.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m becoming, or would like to become, a 1911 guy and am considering adding a 1911 .22. Didn’t take long to burn through several hundred $ of 45acp in only a couple of sessions with my current XD45 and new 1911. I will load some of my own but enjoy shooting .22 and like the idea of shooting the 1911 platform more frequently to train as well as just for fun. I’ve read many googled searches comparing Ruger 22/45 vs conversion and conversion vs. 1911-22 and would appreciate OSA thoughts and discussion on the subject.

What I’ve gathered so far:

Ruger 22/45 – cool looking gun with the rails and threaded barrel; great reputation and I’m sure a fine shooter. Many of the threads I’ve read state that while the grip angle and mag release are 1911ish and it is a good shooter, it still isn’t a 1911. (Already own and love to shoot Browning Buck Mark URX)

Conversions seem to be pretty popular for allowing one to practice cheaply with competition or carry gun. I like the idea of being able to holster a .22 in the same holster as my 45acp. Not much difference in price between conversion and a dedicated .22 pistol (except Kimber Rimfire Target).

1911-22 – Several on the market right now. The cheaper Chiappa and American Classic have some fans and not too expensive. Colt is built by Umarex and the new Browning is not full scale. Don’t want to spend the $ on Kimber Rimfire unless I found a bargain used one. As far as I can tell, that leaves the GSG/Sig.

What would you choose and why?
Thanks
If you want more trigger time with your favorite 1911 then a conversion unit is the way to go. Marvel #1 is the most accurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom