1911 gunsmith

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 4" kimber 1911 in .45 acp. It is very finicky. I don't really want to get rid of it, but I also don't want a gun that I can't trust. Any recommendations for local gunsmiths that can do some reliability work on this gun? I have thought about sending it to Wilson combat too. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can live with that answer. I prefer the 5" barrel, but the 4" is so much nicer to conceal.
Sorry for the short answer (I was goofing off on the work computer at the time). I had a Kimber Warrior that was a wonderful gun. Five inch barrel, steel frame, accurate, and reliable. Loved the gun, but it was a bit of a load to carry (worked quite well in the excellent Crossbreed Super Tuck holster, though). So, I bought a brand new 4 inch Kimber with the alloy frame as a potential carry gun. What a mistake!!! Called Kimber, got a new slide stop, still unreliable. Finally sold the dratted thing. After that, no more 1911's under 5 inches for me. All I've owned since then have been far more reliable than that Kimber Pro. The Crossbreed S/T is a fine holster for a 5 inch gun, as is the superb Milt Sparks Summer Special II. The key to comfortably carrying the full size 1911 is all about holster and belt selection. The butt of any gun is the hardest to conceal anyway, and an additional inch of slide/frame inside the pants makes little difference IMO. Good luck with yours!

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has a 4" barrel and it just does not like WWB. Changed the ammo to American Eagle and no more problems. It is a Wilson Combat. She is also very small 5' and 100 lbs and not very strong. I could shoot it and not have any problems. Four inch barrel 1911's are a little more finicky. If you send it to Wilson, I will bet the it will work when you get it back. I would rather just sell the Kimber and just get a Bill Wilson carry.

From what I have heard Doc would also be a good choice.