1962 OKC highway map.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this interesting. Thought some of you might too.

It shows the old Grand Blvd loop and I-40 west of I-35 is just a suggestion.

oklahoma-city-ok-1962.png

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It shows the old Grand Blvd loop
My dad told me that the reason you see Grand Blvd. everywhere in OKC is because it used to be a big loop to take you around the city. It's interesting to see a map that shows it so clearly.

It's also interesting to see how nearly everything ended at the North Canadian, with very few streets crossing it.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad told me that the reason you see Grand Blvd. everywhere in OKC is because it used to be a big loop to take you around the city. It's interesting to see a map that shows it so clearly.

It's also interesting to see how nearly everything ended at the North Canadian, with very few streets crossing it.

Right??!?! I can remember when Hefner and Overholser were both "rural". Now look at us ... 🤷

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather told me grand blvd made the loop around the city because when it was built the city had the intention of a road race through the city.. When I was a kid nw highway and council was the beginning of the gravel roads... We lived at nw264th and county line road... and finally we used to hunt along the canal connecting Hefner lake and Oberholser lake... before stinchcomb was a refuge... melots sportsman's club was at county line and memorial rd... Shot my first deer where the Kilpatrick is now around county line rd... we hunted all that area...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather used to talk about this. The best hunting was on the other side of the river he said. He hunted about every day of his youth to put food on the table.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandfather used to talk about this. The best hunting was on the other side of the river he said. He hunted about every day of his youth to put food on the table.
yup we used to walk on west side of wiley post next to the runway and shoot birds.. quail, etc... ducks were amazing back then, not to mention turkey all along the hefner canal...

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wedgewood and Spring Lake Amusement Parks. Fun times. This map is apparently not old enough to show where the original; site was for the state fair. I got to metal detect it several years ago and found some old wheaties, Idian Heads, Barber Dimes and a Seated quarter.

Does anyone here remember or even know where that was? I'll bet most don't even know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom