2 weeks notice...how do ya do it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honest question, I've never done this.
Job offer came up, better pay, better benefits and lots of OT.

I get to put my 2 weeks in for the first time.

Type an email? Print a letter?
Give it to your boss, or go further up the chain? Give it to the 3 people above me?
Talk to HR first then do email/letter afterwards?

Am I putting too much thought into this?

Whats the notice supposed to say?
Do it ASAP (tomorrow) or wait til Friday?

Easy.
1) Walk up to boss
2) Tell him you're putting in the notice and why
3)Consider his offer to keep you
????
PROFIT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've moved on from jobs before. Two weeks written notice each time and nothing about why or where I was going. The last time was the weirdest - I was asked to keep my departure secret. The first week of my notice period my boss took a week of vacation. My departure wasn't announced to my co-workers until 3:30 PM of my last day.

God I wish I had done this. I considered keeping it a secret, but our schedule is posted for the department to see, and having to give 90 days' notice meant a LONG time to keep it hidden. But now people are wanting me to come to a going-away party (which I strongly declined), I've been asked about a MILLION times when I'm leaving, what I'm doing, told they wished I would stay (why??? you KNOW I HATE it here, you want me to continue to be miserable so YOU can be happier???), blah blah blah. Now that I've turned down the going-away party, told them I DON'T want gifts, etc., they want to throw a party at work. Ugh. I just wish I could not speak a work about it and walk out the door the last morning and say, "Seeya later," like always, not a word said.

I shoulda kept my mouth shut. <sigh>

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
God I wish I had done this. I considered keeping it a secret, but our schedule is posted for the department to see, and having to give 90 days' notice meant a LONG time to keep it hidden. But now people are wanting me to come to a going-away party (which I strongly declined), I've been asked about a MILLION times when I'm leaving, what I'm doing, told they wished I would stay (why??? you KNOW I HATE it here, you want me to continue to be miserable so YOU can be happier???), blah blah blah. Now that I've turned down the going-away party, told them I DON'T want gifts, etc., they want to throw a party at work. Ugh. I just wish I could not speak a work about it and walk out the door the last morning and say, "Seeya later," like always, not a word said.

I shoulda kept my mouth shut. <sigh>

I did mine in one day.
Told the HR lady on April 1 I was retiring today.
They laughed saying something about an April fool joke, but quit when they saw me loading my office stuff into the vehicle.
Asked for 30 days notice.
My reply was if I was so important that they needed 30 days, would they give me the same if they were going to fire me?
No further comment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom