20 Most affordable AR-10 Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't realize there were that many DPMS .308's. From what I've read the DPMS .308's arent that accurate and have reliability issues so being under a $1000 isn't that great of deal when you have to spend anything you saved on a cheap rifle to make it work like the more expensive rifle. I really would love to get a .308 AR although not for any real use that I can think of.

I imagine if I buy one it'll be an M&P10, seems like the best combination of price, performance, quality and weight that I've seen yet.

Thanks for the post O.P.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I imagine if I buy one it'll be an M&P10, seems like the best combination of price, performance, quality and weight that I've seen yet.

Thanks for the post O.P.

I like the way you think, but I am a M&P fanboy.

And you are welcome, Brandi!

I try to post items that other like minded members here might be interested in.

Sent from my Obamaphone using Tapatalk2

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't realize there were that many DPMS .308's. From what I've read the DPMS .308's arent that accurate and have reliability issues so being under a $1000 isn't that great of deal when you have to spend anything you saved on a cheap rifle to make it work like the more expensive rifle. I really would love to get a .308 AR although not for any real use that I can think of.

Thanks for the post O.P.

How accurate do you need?

Gen 1 DPMS LR308 24". I have a Gen 2 SASS that I am testing right now. We'll see how the new bolt helps with the reliability.

XDTime

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks for the post O.P.

Have you checked out the new Ruger SR-762? Lots of options on it for only a hundred more than the M&P.
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr762/models.html

Last edited:

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How accurate do you need?

Gen 1 DPMS LR308 24". I have a Gen 2 SASS that I am testing right now. We'll see how the new bolt helps with the reliability.

That's pretty good but it doesn't change the fact that, in general, the base model DPMS .308's often require additional work to make them both as reliable and accurate as the others. If I could get a great deal on one I'd buy it but it would have to be a low enough price to allow for improvements without going over what a better rifle would cost on it's own.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you checked out the new Ruger SR-762? Lots of options on it for only a hundred more than the M&P.
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr762/models.html

Yeah, I've looked at them. I'm a huge Ruger wheel gun fan but the SR-762 is having a fair bit of growing pains and is still working out the bugs while the M&P10 pretty much came out of the gate ready to go, no doubt thanks to already being in the AR business for many years.

It'll take a couple years before they are problem free. I would like to see a head to head comparison between the two and see how it shakes out.

XDTime

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've looked at them. I'm a huge Ruger wheel gun fan but the SR-762 is having a fair bit of growing pains and is still working out the bugs while the M&P10 pretty much came out of the gate ready to go, no doubt thanks to already being in the AR business for many years.

It'll take a couple years before they are problem free. I would like to see a head to head comparison between the two and see how it shakes out.

You are correct on growing pains, my ST runs fine but my buddies is on it's way back to Ruger I think a comparison test would be great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom