20% Pay-Cut (furlough). How about some money saving ideas...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I recently found out that walmart sells cold rotisserie chickens for $4. They make them at the same time as the hot ones and put them in the fridge. I asked an employee why they do this and they said that people on food stamps can't buy hot food. When I buy one I'll strip all the meat off, freeze some of it, and use the bones to make soup. I end up getting about a week worth of meals out of $4.

Last edited:

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In many (if not most, based upon my previous experience at a large retailer) cases, the doubling at Homeland is just to make you feel better.

For example, I can get a 64oz jar of Mt. Olive pickles at Atwoods for $3.29 (IIRC). The 24oz at Homeland was $5-something that same day, and they only double up to $1 coupons (or $2 max, with obvious exceptions for face-value above $1).

Just because the receipt says "You saved XXX" doesn't really mean you paid less than what you could have got it for anywhere else, kind of like just because it says "Rollback" doesn't mean it's priced less than it was 90 days ago.

Yes, you HAVE to stay on top of what the real market price should be. In retail it is understood that most customers can only keep track of a few dozen prices so the large number of coupons on items you don't typically purchase can still work to their advantage. Do your homework and turn the advantage to you.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just started this. I used to drink 3-4 diet cokes a day, then I got curious and looked up what the phenylalanine warning was about (it can cause the same symptoms as a generalized axiety disorder, which I've been experiencing for a while). it's been about 2 weeks and I feel great! I've probably saved about $50 too, lol.

A recent study has suggested diet drinks cause the same symtoms as MS. I have a cousin who was diagnosed with MS 8yrs ago. She drank A LOT of Diet Coke. Got off the drinks and 6 months, no symptoms.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about just spending less than you make?

20% of your pay should be about the amount you're putting into savings and investing, if you have any plans for a future.

Bleedsorange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great Thread!

I just got a internet/cable bill from Cox in the mail, low and behold there was about a 6% increase from last months bill. After reading all of these money savings ideas it gave me the drive to give them a call. After a short converstaion with the customer service department they knocked my monthly bill down 30% for the next year! I know its still a lot to spend on cable and internet but by making a simple call I saved approx $500.00/year.

Thought that was pretty cool!!

I am also really interested in some of the homemade cleaner recipes that you use, if anyone has any they would like to pass along I would greatly appreciate it!

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Laundry soap:

1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax
1 fels naptha(sp?) bar grated

Use one table spoon per load. Saves us a ton of money not buying detergent. Lots of good ideas here. Been saving more this last 8 months than I ever have and I'm glad I have a little to fall back on. Not much but ill live lean to get through this if it happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom