2012 Proposed Changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do know that the Oklahoma Cattleman's Association lobbied for a law change a few years ago and the law was changed so that the landowner was not required to post land in order for people to be prosecuted for trespassing. I do not believe it was ever legal to trespass to retrieve a hunting dog.
QUOTE]

As I understood the old law, explained to me by John Streich,(GW in Kay county before his promotion) and expressed in the regs, was that if the land was not fenced, or occupied, permission was not required.

The definition of "occupied" was open to interpretation. As he explained it to me; If the land was not fenced, had no houses or occupied structures, (barns), or equipment, or if the fence was in total disrepair, it was legal to hunt. This was 30 years ago, so don't take what I just said, and go trespassing!

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mmmmm, there's been a lot of laws passed by this "manner". a lot since the crossbow law was passed. Its common wildlife laws are passed like this. Here is the link showing what has been passed in the past:
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/facts_maps/archives/legislation.htm

My wording was mistook on that. I was meaning the last big change that came was the crossbow law. Yes they get passed every year, but every year it is a small percentage of those that are proposed and very very few of those that pass actually affect your hunting of fishing by changing seasons and bag limits. None of last years laws were big laws by any stretch.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jared

Apparently, you are correct, it was once legal to trespass to retrieve animals, but, it looks like that section of the law was repealed in 2006.

http://www.oklegislature.gov/cf_pdf/2011-12 ENR/hb/hb1249 enr.pdf

ENROLLED HOUSE
BILL NO. 1249
By: Rousselot and Hickman of the House
and
David, Schulz, Fields and
Sparks of the Senate
An Act
An Act relating to crimes and punishments; amending
Section 4, Chapter 268, O.S.L. 2006, as last amended
by Section 2, Chapter 458, O.S.L. 2009 (21 O.S. Supp.
2010, Section 1835.2), which relates to property
rights; removing exception for retrieving domestic
livestock or other animals on another’s land
; and
providing an effective date.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unlimited, year-round doe thing is ridiculous. I swear...

House Bill 2919 by Rep. Richardson. Defining that the term white deer is any whitetail or mule deer exhibiting a deficient pigmentation condition known as albinism. Bill would be effective Sept. 1, 2012, and bill is now assigned to the House Agriculture, Wildlife and Environment Committee.

The need to do away with that superstitious, useless, idiotic white deer crap in the first place. A deer is a deer, and an albino or piebald is still a deer.

You guys know how the white deer thing came about, right? Kid from the OKC area (Edmond IIRC) shot a nice piebald buck on public land in the late 90's, made the news, and was crucified by idiots. If I remember correctly (maybe someone here knows), a woman claimed the deer this kid killed was the reincarnated spirit of her dead father. I had the article saved for years, but threw it away finally.

I really hate most all of our lawmakers and wildlife commissioners (not to be confused with the ODWC) with a passion. It seems most of them know jackshit about what they speak of.

Last edited:

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Senate Bill 1094 by Sen. Anderson. Allows landowners with a valid hunting license to take an unlimited number of female deer during any time of year. Bill would be effective Nov. 1, 2012, and bill is now assigned to the Senate Tourism and Wildlife Committee

I have to think about the others proposals, but 1094 above I think opens up a number of possibilities that I don't think are good.

landowners shooting/taking bucks after dropping antlers thinking they were does.........

Undue hunting pressure/poaching......YEAR ROUND.......!!!!!

Unlimited number of female deer ----- Really....

As some have mentioned, unless these proposals have at least had some conversations with the professionals at the Wildlife Department I am not sure about them......

Just my initial .02 response........

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think everyone needs to write Senator Anderson and relay what a douche bag idea that is for an unlimited number of does. On his senate webpage, he claims to be a "farmer/attorney". Anyone that would support something like that doesn't seem to have the mindset to be much of a farmer IMO.

[email protected]

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every lawmaker in Oklahoma claims to be a farmer or a rancher. I'll write him.

Shooting does year-round is asinine. They have fawns they need to nurse in the summer, for starters.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure he farms in eastern Garfield county. I go to church with him, don't know him, but know who he is and I'll see if I can ask him about it this weekend. We are talking about Patrick Anderson right?

I don't see this proposal going very far. I would think the "landowner" term would be to hard to enforce. Are the GW's going to require a deed to check for legals? So if you're not on the deed, you're not legally the landowner.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom