2014 Rut info thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Made the drive from BA down 412 to 35 up to 11 into Grant Co. this morning. Didn't see a single dead deer on the way. Saw 15 does together in the wheat tonight and not a single buck in sight.
I laugh every time I see a "rut report"
It happens the same time every year. Like clock work....

So you'll be back the next two weekends? :)

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took off work on Friday to hunt the cold front. I grunted in a forky about 8am from downwind. He circled me at 20 yards then made his way into the thick stuff. A few minutes later, I hear a grunt so loud it sounded like another hunter. I responded with a long grunt and two short pops. A few minutes later, a 3.5 year old triple main beam 8 point showed up at 20 yards. He circled me at 15 yards looking for the deer. Even though I was on public land, I passed on him. I love non-typical racks, and have never killed a buck with one, but he will be amazing next year, should he make it. 4 doe came in, with only the yearlings offering shots.

Yesterday morning I had 3 doe pass out of range. Nothing responded to grunts or rattling.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Took off work on Friday to hunt the cold front. I grunted in a forky about 8am from downwind. He circled me at 20 yards then made his way into the thick stuff. A few minutes later, I hear a grunt so loud it sounded like another hunter. I responded with a long grunt and two short pops. A few minutes later, a 3.5 year old triple main beam 8 point showed up at 20 yards. He circled me at 15 yards looking for the deer. Even though I was on public land, I passed on him. I love non-typical racks, and have never killed a buck with one, but he will be amazing next year, should he make it. 4 doe came in, with only the yearlings offering shots.

Yesterday morning I had 3 doe pass out of range. Nothing responded to grunts or rattling.

This forum needs a "like" button. :)

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No chasing activity in northern kingfisher county. Bucks still grouped up. Does still pretty relaxed. I had high hopes for movement in general picking up with this cold snap. Ive seen less deer this weekend than last when it was 90° during the day.

When things do get going it should be good. We are absolutely COVERED up with slick heads.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then you've been missing out here then :) :pokeowned

No, I've been up here plenty times bow hunting between ML and Rifle. Just not this year.
But in the 15 years I've hunted here, opening weekend of rifle has always been the most active As far as bucks chasing. It dies quick though after the first few days.

But for the majority of the country (excluding a few small places like southern Florida) the rut is always picks up mid November. It has nothing to do with the weather, the moon, the whatever etc. Photoperiod is what control does coming into estrus. That happens the same time every year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom