2015 Legislative Firearm bills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Minimum qualifying score of 70 with both the military and the PD. My qualification courses were given to me by the military and CLEET when I went through the academy. There's a running joke that you as long as you don't shoot the instructor, you can get a CCL. I also went through the SDA class even though I didn't have to and it was a joke.
He wasn't asking about the qualifications you went through in the military and police regarding firearms.

He was asking what tests and qualifications you had to go through in order to post on the internet, thereby exercising your right to free speech.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He wasn't asking about the qualifications you went through in the military and police regarding firearms.

He was asking what tests and qualifications you had to go through in order to post on the internet, thereby exercising your right to free speech.

Well, that one went right over my head.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found another bill.

[url="http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=HB1143&Session=1500]HB1143[/URL] Amends Title 21 Section 1277 - Would require colleges, universities, and technology center administrators to grant authorization to anyone with an Oklahoma Handgun License who asked to carry a concealed handgun on campus. The exception would be if there were evidence that the person asking had violent behavior or deliberate reckless behavior towards another person.

Looks like a winner to me! How do you tell what commitee it is in and who to contact in that commitee?

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a winner to me! How do you tell what commitee it is in and who to contact in that commitee?

The best way to track them is here. Put the bill number in the box, add it to the list (save the list so you don't have to reenter it all the time) and retrieve the list. It will show you the status of all the bills in your list.

Here you can find the House committee calendars and the Senate committee meetings.

Once you know the committee it is in, you can go to the House or Senate sites and look under committees to find members of that particular committee.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where do you see what bills are coming up?

Sent from the hunting cabin

http://oklegislature.gov

Click the Legislation menu item and you have a multitude of ways to search for bills. I generally use the "Search text of measures" feature to search for a specific term, like "handgun" or "firearm". That will return a list of bills containing that term. I then weed through them and find the ones that pertain to what I want. For example, just because a bill contains the word firearm doesn't mean I'm interested in it. Like the bill that changes the statute of limitations on something....it contains the word firearm, but the change has noting to do with firearms so I don't put that in my list. Once I get my list I go back to the Legislation link, then Advanced Bill Search. On that page, I click the Personal Bill Tracking on the left side and enter the bills into the list so I can keep up with them.

Once the bill has been assigned a committee, you have to keep up with the calendars (as noted in post above) to see when it will be heard in the committee meeting. Once it makes it to the floor, you can watch the live feed whenever the chamber is in session to see if it gets brought up that day or not. They don't really publish (at least that I have found) a daily floor agenda, just a list of things that could be brought up that day.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found about another 20 bills this morning:

HB1264 - Qualifies all Oklahomans who have not been convicted of a felony crime and lawfully able to own a firearm under Oklahoma law meet requirements for the Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act. Allows persons who can carry a concealed firearm in nonpermitted to carry concealed or unconcealed in OK.

HB1265 - Amends Title 21 Section 1277 - Removes the administrative penalty for carrying a firearm on a college, university, or tech center campus without prior authorization. Allows private colleges, universities, tech centers to adopt a policy allowing license holders to carry firearms in motor vehicles used by the institution.

HB1324 - Persons with a handgun license could carry a concealed firearm at the capitol building by showing their license and bypassing the security checkpoint.

HB1325 - Amends Title 21 Section 1289.7 - Would allow loaded unconcealed carry of firearms in vehicles by unlicensed persons over the age of 21 and allows said firearm to be left concealed in locked vehicle.

HB1383 - Shell Bill

HB1390 - Amends Title 21 Section 1277 - Would allow municipalities to authorize certain employees to carry handguns into any building or structure owned by the municipality.

HB1391 - Amends Title 21 Section 1290.5 - Would require a certificate of completion of a firearms safety and training refresher course approved by CLEET. Increase of the renewal fee from $85 to $90, the additional $5 to go to CLEET and credited to the Firearms Instructors Revolving Fund. Would allow applicants to take an interactive online firearms safety and training course via the Internet. Would require certificate of firearms safety and certificate of successful demonstration of competency and qualification to carry and handle a pistol. Would not recognize other state licenses for OK residents.

HB1396 - Would require you to file your SDA application electronically if paying with a nationally recognized credit card or electronic funds transfer.

HB1460 - Amends Title 21 Section 1289.24 - Provides for state preemption of knife laws. Allows public and private schools to create a policy regulating the possession of knives by students on school property.

HB1478 - Amends Title 21 Section 1289.6 - Adds language to prevent people carrying a firearm on their property from being disarmed by law enforcement unless reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity exists

HB1479 - Amends Title 21 Section 1289.6 - Adds "kinves" to the title so we can all know when it is legal to carry a knife.

HJR1003 - Would provide for an OK Constitutional Amendment to define "arms" in Section 26 of Article 2

HJR1009 - Would provide for a constitutional amendment to the OK constitution Section 26 Article 2. Constitutional Carry

SB363 - Amends Title 21 Section 1289.6 - Constitutional open carry

SB364 - Amends Title 21 Section 1289.24 - Provides for state preemption of knife laws. Allows public and private schools to create a policy regulating the possession of knives by students on school property.

SB365 - Persons with a handgun license could carry a concealed firearm at the capitol building by showing their license and bypassing the security checkpoint.

SB400 - Amends Title 21 Section 1277 - would allow private colleges, universities, and tech centers to create their own policy in regards to carrying concealed or unconcealed firearms on their property.

SB461 - Amends Title 21 Section 1277 - Modifies prohibited places list so only government buildings with security checkpoints attended by a commissioned peace officer at each public entrance would prohibited. City/town/county/state/federal governmental authorities would be immune from liability resulting from misconduct of a person with a handgun license. A citizen with a handgun license would be authorized to carry a concealed handgun on any public college, university or public technology center, this can not be denied unless evidence exists the license holder has been involved in a violent incident that showed deliberate or reckless disregard for another person. Private universities, colleges, and tech centers can adopt a policy to allow concealed or unconcealed carry on their property and vehicles and exempts them from liability. Provides for open carry of loaded handgun in a car by any non-felon over 21 without a license, firearm may be stored concealed in locked vehicle. Would allow persons with a handgun license to carry a concealed firearm in the capitol building by showing the license and bypassing the security checkpoint.

The following bill doesn't deal directly with Oklahoma Firearms law, but does deal with firearms in a particular situation so I included it in the list

HB1329 - Deals with domestic abuse - provides that if a peace officer believes a victim is in imminent risk of death or serious bodily harm, the officer can ask the court to intervene. If the court intervenes, the person posing the risk shall immediately relinquish all firearms or other dangerous weapons owned. Provides for how this shall happen.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno who this hrdware person is, or how he's tied to the legislative process (clerk, aide, lobbyist, whatever), but he's doing us a huge service by keeping track of this.

OK2A will post their agenda next week and then we can start applying pressure to committee members/leadership.

Many thanks, man. . .

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he's a founding member of either OK2A or Oklahoma open carry association ?

One of the founders of Oklahoma Open Carry Association, I also did some work with OK2A for awhile.

I dunno who this hrdware person is, or how he's tied to the legislative process (clerk, aide, lobbyist, whatever), but he's doing us a huge service by keeping track of this.

OK2A will post their agenda next week and then we can start applying pressure to committee members/leadership.

Many thanks, man. . .

None of the above. Software developer by trade, firearms enthusiast by....well, just because. :) A few years ago it seems the only thing you could find were bills being pushed by specific groups when they put out a press release. It was hard to find things that legislators decided to run because they thought it was a good idea. I figured out how to do it via the state website and have been posting these for the last 3 or 4 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom