2018 Controlled Hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corbinlee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took my two oldest boys to Salt Plains this weekend as well. We were in Cabin 6.
My 12 yr old had his doe down at 1:30 on Friday so hopes were really high. He didn't run into a buck the rest of the trip. My 14 yr old had a couple issues, 1st doe gun misfired (think the bolt wasn't all the way closed) just clicked with a lite primer strike. 2nd and 3rd doe he hit a tree in front of deer, we were hunting in some thick stuff and really couldn't see the small trees that he hit. He was really frustrated but did well keeping his composer and continuing to hunt. Sunday we set up and had deer all around us only shot available for him was a nice little 8 pt that he couldn't shoot. He came to within about 5-7 yrds of us and just hung out for a bit. It was a lot of fun.
We were in Unit F (just south of Headquarters). Both boys saw a lot deer and had a great time, we will for sure be putting in next year for the hunt.

Hard to see but this is the 8 pt that was playing with us sunday morning.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be
Took my two oldest boys to Salt Plains this weekend as well. We were in Cabin 6.
My 12 yr old had his doe down at 1:30 on Friday so hopes were really high. He didn't run into a buck the rest of the trip. My 14 yr old had a couple issues, 1st doe gun misfired (think the bolt wasn't all the way closed) just clicked with a lite primer strike. 2nd and 3rd doe he hit a tree in front of deer, we were hunting in some thick stuff and really couldn't see the small trees that he hit. He was really frustrated but did well keeping his composer and continuing to hunt. Sunday we set up and had deer all around us only shot available for him was a nice little 8 pt that he couldn't shoot. He came to within about 5-7 yrds of us and just hung out for a bit. It was a lot of fun.
We were in Unit F (just south of Headquarters). Both boys saw a lot deer and had a great time, we will for sure be putting in next year for the hunt.

Hard to see but this is the 8 pt that was playing with us sunday morning.

Been a long time since I've seen that much water over that dam.

pistolpete95

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Controlled hunts: Upside drew a hunt. Downside..showed up on the wrong day. Yes, I got up at 0300 Saturday 11/7. The guy at the gate (okmulgee gma) couldn’t find me on the list. Even though the letter in my hand says clearly...11/18. Upside, got to see an awesome win over West Virginia. Downside, here on the right day. With the cold wind and rain.
The guy at the gate said if you see a hog, ok to shoot. Take it home or leave it lay.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm convinced with the doe first requirement they don't actually want deer killed. If they want the population numbers down, then 2 deer is 2 deer. Doesn't matter which you shoot first. By having the doe first requirement, a lot of deer get to walk because of antlers.
The more bucks taken without a doe skew the buck/doe ratio even more. Many would leave after getting the buck. The required doe kill first, this is more motivation to hunt for a doe to be able to get a buck.
Management and population control goal is usually more long term than right now. A doe harvest does more to lower reproduction than a buck harvest.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The more bucks taken without a doe skew the buck/doe ratio even more. Many would leave after getting the buck. The required doe kill first, this is more motivation to hunt for a doe to be able to get a buck.
Management and population control goal is usually more long term than right now. A doe harvest does more to lower reproduction than a buck harvest.
I’ve advocated having to shoot a doe first before killing a buck for years in TX, but the masses won’t hear of such crazy talk.:rolleyes2

I’d absolutely support a doe first rule for general season in OK.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And by not shooting any deer because the wrong sex showed up skews the carrying capacity of their habitat. then they all die off. There were a lot of deer passed on because of antlers. Too much is put into trophy hunting. A buck reaches sexual maturity at 1 1/2 years, he's legal game. It's a control hunt, not open season.
Sounds like it isn't the hunt for you. Sign up for another hunt. Like you said, it is a controlled hunt not open season. Rules were listed when entries were opened. The biologic reason is sound.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve advocated having to shoot a doe first before killing a buck for years in TX, but the masses won’t hear of such crazy talk.:rolleyes2

I’d absolutely support a doe first rule for general season in OK.

Almost 70k bucks, and 39k does killed last year in Oklahoma. I'd be all for it especially if you're in a zone that are two doe in MZ and rifle. Might be a lot of guys checking in "phantom" does prior though lol.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Almost 70k bucks, and 39k does killed last year in Oklahoma. I'd be all for it especially if you're in a zone that are two doe in MZ and rifle. Might be a lot of guys checking in "phantom" does prior though lol.
What!? You’re implying there are dishonest people in the world. No way,ain’t gonna happen.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

There’s always that, but if a person is going to be dishonest, a law or rule doesn’t really matter anyway.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was from last week, 11/10, at Ft. Reno for my son's controlled hunt. The doe dropped in her tracks at about 125 yards with his .243. With another antlerless tag burning a hole in his pocket, he pulled the trigger on the yearling just 10 minutes later when the little buck refused to leave the area.
20181110_091318.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom