2019 Deer Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I got skunked. I knew where I wanted to be but the winds wouldn't allow. Guess where moose showed up? Yep...

I dumped some corn at 1230 to try and center the deer for a shot. At 245 I snuck back in to push 2 does off the corn. They came back at 450 and stayed for 10 minutes before blowing and taking off. It wasn't because of me. 520 a young 7 point chased a yearling in with a mature doe. They fed for a few minutes before they too started blowing. What the heck? I had started filming with my phone to catch three buck grunting when I saw the problem. A bobcat was sneaking in. He passed 5 yards from my stand and all 3 deer were quite mad and followed it for 80 yards making a racket before returning to eat for another 30 minutes.

Right at dark, I started packing up when 2 deer snuck in to eat. I was almost sure one was a target buck due to time and direction. 10 minutes later, I'm frozen in the stand and a third deer comes from the opposite direction, alone. I can't see a damn thing. By 740 I break out my grunt call and lightly started on it. I was able to get the first 2 to slowly leave with the third round of grunting but the third deer was mad. He was stomping and walking in circles, from what I could hear. At 750, I see lightning in the distance and I have a 12 minute walk to the truck. I started barking and growling. This just made him mad. He started to circle the stand at 15 yards. The lightning started intensifying and I had to leave! I kept barking as I eased out of the stand with this deer within 20 yards. I slowly worked my way away from the stand until I walked into a branch in the dark. I used my phone screen for light, holding it at knee level and left. He never spooked. They were right in front of my camera the whole time. The next card pull will be interesting. I got in the truck right as the bottom fell out of the sky. The ride home was rough with the storms. Made me glad the deer didn't arrive earlier for a shot.

That was awesome!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I got skunked. I knew where I wanted to be but the winds wouldn't allow. Guess where moose showed up? Yep...

I dumped some corn at 1230 to try and center the deer for a shot. At 245 I snuck back in to push 2 does off the corn. They came back at 450 and stayed for 10 minutes before blowing and taking off. It wasn't because of me. 520 a young 7 point chased a yearling in with a mature doe. They fed for a few minutes before they too started blowing. What the heck? I had started filming with my phone to catch three buck grunting when I saw the problem. A bobcat was sneaking in. He passed 5 yards from my stand and all 3 deer were quite mad and followed it for 80 yards making a racket before returning to eat for another 30 minutes.

Right at dark, I started packing up when 2 deer snuck in to eat. I was almost sure one was a target buck due to time and direction. 10 minutes later, I'm frozen in the stand and a third deer comes from the opposite direction, alone. I can't see a damn thing. By 740 I break out my grunt call and lightly started on it. I was able to get the first 2 to slowly leave with the third round of grunting but the third deer was mad. He was stomping and walking in circles, from what I could hear. At 750, I see lightning in the distance and I have a 12 minute walk to the truck. I started barking and growling. This just made him mad. He started to circle the stand at 15 yards. The lightning started intensifying and I had to leave! I kept barking as I eased out of the stand with this deer within 20 yards. I slowly worked my way away from the stand until I walked into a branch in the dark. I used my phone screen for light, holding it at knee level and left. He never spooked. They were right in front of my camera the whole time. The next card pull will be interesting. I got in the truck right as the bottom fell out of the sky. The ride home was rough with the storms. Made me glad the deer didn't arrive earlier for a shot.

Poachers have proven over the years that lights after dark don't have an effect on deer. Back in the day when we had the 35mm trail cams with bright flashes, it didn't bother them at all. They thought it was lightning I guess.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its funny to me that some of you won't shoot does with fawns/young of the year.

There is no biological reason not to this late in the year as they are well old enough to make it on their own. Furthermore some research has shown that button bucks who lose their mothers during deer season often fare better than if they had hung with mom till she kicked them off.

I'm not really railing on anybody here. Absolutely to each their own. Just find it strange is all.

Early bow season, it's kind of tough gutting the mom of the twin fawns standing 20' from you making grunt noises. I'll wait until later in the season.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Early bow season, it's kind of tough gutting the mom of the twin fawns standing 20' from you making grunt noises. I'll wait until later in the season.

Yea I believe most of the people don’t shoot in that situation due to purely emotional reasons such as the one described.

Here in Nebraska I’m especially heartless. The fawns here are MUCH larger and on many occasions I’ve purposely shot the adult first and then promptly whacked the young standing by as well when I’ve got multiple antlerless tags. However it’s not uncommon here that field dressed fawns weigh 70+ pounds by the time rifle rolls around.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That was AWESOME!!!!!!!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will but I won't be super jazzed about it.

I am using a muzzleloader but several of the bucks I'm watching are either coming off neighboring properties or their travel routes take them off the property. I don't think any of the neighbors archery hunt heavily but I know they gun hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom