44 mag for deer hunting, what round?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far that has been a leading contender.
Id have to look back for a post from the past where I ran a chronograph on my Ruger carbine.
Thinking the velocity was running high 1900’s using a max pistol load.
Back in the day, you could buy .44 mag ammo for rifle and buy for pistol.
I have to assume they discontinued the rifle ammo that was hotter because idiots were trying to get more from their pistols using that ammo with poor results.
Haven’t tried anything more than hot pistol loads in the rifle as the results on deer has been more than satisfactory. No need to beat it to death getting another 200 fps.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Id have to look back for a post from the past where I ran a chronograph on my Ruger carbine.
Thinking the velocity was running high 1900’s using a max pistol load.
Back in the day, you could buy .44 mag ammo for rifle and buy for pistol.
I have to assume they discontinued the rifle ammo that was hotter because idiots were trying to get more from their pistols using that ammo with poor results.
Haven’t tried anything more than hot pistol loads in the rifle as the results on deer has been more than satisfactory. No need to beat it to death getting another 200 fps.

Agree, and any shot I get at the most would be about 100 yards, average distance is around 35-40 yards.

May try some regular federal 240gr or some hard cast buffalo ammo.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my short answer- i said any 240 gr sp or hp, or the 200 gr xtp. The long answer is ANY .44 mag load will kill deer. The 180 gr hp’s ( while great for social work) will kill deer- but dont expect an exit. ( and as even .30-06 hit deer sometimes run- and tracking without an exit wound isnt fun- i want an exit wound) the old west .44-40 load was a 200gr@1200 flatpoint lead- and they consistently kill and exit deer- but not as quick as s good expanding bullet. The most common muzzleloader bullet is the 240 xtp- and yes the common 100 gr load is about same velocity as the .44 mag carbine, and it is well tested.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a Marlin 1894 in 44mag.

What round for deer hunting would you recommend if you have had experience with a 44mag for deer.
I have used factory Hornady XTP 240. I have also hand loaded Speer deep curl and XTP’s. All have worked. All pass through. Used a warmer XTP load. On a sow about 175 lbs, at about 30-40 yards. 1 shot from a 4 5/8 ruger put her down in tracks. I like the 240 grainers.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to buy the 250 count packs of nosler 200gn .429.

image.jpg

Ran them at a average of 1550fps with AA#9 powder out of a 629 classic 6.5".
image.jpg

Back in the 1993 they was $22.99 a box from Midway.

Now places want $100+ a box, but I refuse to pay that. I wish everyone else would do the same!!!!

.gov inflation calculator says that should be priced $48.43 today!!!!

CPI Inflation Calculator

Now I have a RCBS 44-245-swc I like the looks of, and need to get out more and play with!
image.jpg

Last edited:

osu007

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to buy the 250 count packs of nosler 200gn .429.

View attachment 403513
Ran them at a average of 1550fps with AA#9 powder out of a 629 classic 6.5".
View attachment 403514

Back in the 1993 they was $22.99 a box from Midway.

Now places want $100+ a box, but I refuse to pay that. I wish everyone else would do the same!!!!

.gov inflation calculator says that should be priced $48.43 today!!!!

CPI Inflation Calculator

Now I have a RCBS 44-245-swc I like the looks of, and need to get out more and play with!
View attachment 403517

osu007

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the looks of your Keith bullet. I have wanted to get some from a cast bullet supplier as I don’t cast my own. However, cast bullets are not good for a ruger semi carbine. They plug the gas port. How do I know? I bought a Deerfield carbine at a really good price. I think the good price was because the gas port was clogged up. Cleaned it out, ran gold dot/deep curl bullets, and 2 shots at 50 yards is hole on hole. Open sights. It amazed me. I do have a Winchester 94 trapper that would love to see some cast bullets as well as the ruger pistola.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the looks of your Keith bullet. I have wanted to get some from a cast bullet supplier as I don’t cast my own. However, cast bullets are not good for a ruger semi carbine. They plug the gas port. How do I know? I bought a Deerfield carbine at a really good price. I think the good price was because the gas port was clogged up. Cleaned it out, ran gold dot/deep curl bullets, and 2 shots at 50 yards is hole on hole. Open sights. It amazed me. I do have a Winchester 94 trapper that would love to see some cast bullets as well as the ruger pistola.
Well, I really can not say cast is your problem, because there are many variables that could affect your rifle.

Could be a hardness issue, bullet sized diameter issue, lube issue or type of powder used and pressure issue.

Or a combination of some or all of above!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
240 gr XTP in the lever gun and black powder.
I ended up with some of dads reloads that I wasn’t sure what the load is but dad never played around with ‘top end’ stuff. I ran it through my marlin with open sites. It clover leafed at 100. I just labeled that box ‘hunting’. I asked dad if he could remember the load but he couldn’t. It was probably loaded 30 years ago.
This thread has me wanting to take a deer with the 44 this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom