2019 Deer Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did get a doe on the way home... thank goodness she ducked my brush guard. Ugh Smh
b269d3c0d75a5cd23a63b36ea562d710.jpg
You have been making up for the drought years of no deer. Glad you are okay! How is the pick up?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up seeing 7 does, a little 7 pt, a little 8 pt, and a 130 class 8 pt. I’m pretty sure this morning will be a bust, but I’m here and going to sit in a stand.:anyone:
Might as well try it. I'm heading out myself. It'd be a whole lot harder to vint this morning if I wasn't using a muzzleloader.
You have been making up for the drought years of no deer. Glad you are okay! How is the pick up?
Luckily it only bent the passenger side of the bumper about a half inch. She hit the very corner of it then went under the tires.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might as well try it. I'm heading out myself. It'd be a whole lot harder to vint this morning if I wasn't using a muzzleloader. Luckily it only bent the passenger side of the bumper about a half inch. She hit the very corner of it then went under the tires.
that is good. Good luck

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pulled camera cards today. My big bucks are still nocturnal, but I’m seeing doe every trip out.

I wanted to post an experiment I started last week. I built this protein feeder this summer and tried creep pellets in it, then settled on milk pellets or finisher pellets. They hit it regularly but when it came time to fill it last week, I tried something different.

While at Tractor Supply, I saw they had some kind of apple flavored powder marked down. Said made from real, dried apples. It’s supposed to be poured out like mineral. Anyway, I bought it along with a couple bags of milk pellets. When I filled the feeder, I mixed corn and pellets at a 1:1 ratio, stirring in the apple powder as I went. The deer have gone freakin nuts over this stuff. I’ve had as many as 7 adult doe on camera, pushing each other out of the way to get to the feed tubes.

I’m planning on filling this feeder with this recipe again after muzzleloader season is over and sit over it during rut. With every doe in the section hitting this concoction, I’m thinking one is bound to draw a shooter buck in at some point.

44698AEB-09E7-4F3F-BE7A-09DF72B198CA.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve tried a couple different “cow” feeds, and deer don’t seem to be too choosy. I’m feeding what’s cheapest now, but it just went up 80 cents a bag. I’ll be on the hunt for something cheaper again. With these deer eating a ton a month, I’ve got to have cheap.

I’m looking into a timer for my protein feeders, but the ones I’ve found for my feeder are over $300. I know it would pay for itself over one season, but dang the initial investment...

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sat yesterday evening and this evening in NW Oklahoma. To my surprise I seen way more deer yesterday than today. 25 degrees colder today. They moved really late today. Not sure if wind had something to do with it or not. Neighbors weren’t even hunting this weekend surprisingly. Lots of light chasing yesterday and no bucks spotted tonight. Seen about 30 deer yesterday and maybe 10 this evening. Headed to eastern Oklahoma for tomorrow for an evening sit and then back to work. Not much morning activity on cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom