2019 F250 Death Wobble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a class action law suit against Ford and the death wobble people are experiencing driving a brand new superduty off the dealer’s lot. It’s a design issue.

Cdubya

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 2020 f250 and I have not experienced a pro longed wobble, but when I got a good bump in the road at highway speeds I have noticed the steering wheel can jerk significantly. I'm used to it now, but I can imagine it could catch someone off guard.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey speaking of F-350s my buddy got his new F-350 with the 7.3 and his best tank of gas so far is 10.3 unloaded! thought they were supposed to get better than that. He got the 4.30 gears in it.
I have the F-250. Driving to OKC and back yesterday without resetting the mileage, I got 12.8.
Fords have a progressive method of determining mileage.
When first resetting it, every quarter mile it changes.
As one drives, the time between notification of changes increases to the point that it only changes ever 50 miles or so.
He needs to do a manual calculation for the real mileage. Top off the tank, drive, top off the tank and calculate the miles driven vs the gallons used. That is the most accurate method.
When your buddy takes his next trip, have him zero the mileage thing and see how it reads vs the actual mileage with the manual method.
Some of the car manufacturers have been accused in the past of cheating on the mileage calculations and making the electronics reflect higher than average mileage.
Why sacrifice a multi billion dollar business over some additional profits when your making tons of money already?
Have your buddy do a manual check. It will be close I'm betting to the electronic.

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I know that. People were saying the 7.3 has more power and makes better mileage than the 6.2. I heard they were getting 15-16 out of them with the 10 speed transmission. I was getting 10 out of 96 model with a 460 and a 5spd.
I'm sure it will make more power, but I'd bet the farm there is no way a 445cid gas eng will get anything close to 15mpg. That's why I've stuck with diesel when I need pulling power, I'm currently getting upper 16's low 17's for mpg out of my 08 Duramax and still working on tweaking the tune I have, hopping to get 17-18 empty.

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the F-250. Driving to OKC and back yesterday without resetting the mileage, I got 12.8.
As one drives, the time between notification of changes increases to the point that it only changes ever 50 miles or so.
He needs to do a manual calculation for the real mileage. Top off the tank, drive, top off the tank and calculate the miles driven vs the gallons used. That is the most accurate method.
When your buddy takes his next trip, have him zero the mileage thing and see how it reads vs the actual mileage with the manual method.
Some of the car manufacturers have been accused in the past of cheating on the mileage calculations and making the electronics reflect higher than average mileage.
Why sacrifice a multi billion dollar business over some additional profits when your making tons of money already?
Have your buddy do a manual check. It will be close I'm betting to the electronic.
That's right the only true way is to hand calc your mileage, that's also assuming you are running stock tire size, otherwise your odometer is off and so will your calculations.
My trucks 'lie-o-meter" has always been over by at least 1 to 2 mpg's based on hand calculation and I can adjust my speedometer for tire size. My speedometer is spot on and truck still cant get it right.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everytime I've checked mine on my Ram it's real close to what the computer says. He knew it wasn't going to get great mileage when he bought it but he was hoping it would be better than 10. Almost $70,000 for that truck after he got the bed and everything put on it. I'm thinking it's not going to get much better than 7 or 8 pulling.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everytime I've checked mine on my Ram it's real close to what the computer says. He knew it wasn't going to get great mileage when he bought it but he was hoping it would be better than 10. Almost $70,000 for that truck after he got the bed and everything put on it. I'm thinking it's not going to get much better than 7 or 8 pulling.
Mine is very close as well. Tell your friend to select the electronic dash feature that shows instant mpg.
I've certainly changed my driving habits after watching that line move up and down the mileage scale.
I kick off the cruise or let off the gas pedal way before I used to and the mileage indicator runs up to 30mpg while coasting up to a stop sign. Not so heavy on the gas when leaving the stop sign as I used to be as well.
My cousin bought one just like mine a month later with the 3:65 gearing. He is getting exactly the same mileage as I am. He has commented to me how that instant mileage indicator changed his driving style as well.
It's like an instant reward when you see the average mileage step up a notch.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is very close as well. Tell your friend to select the electronic dash feature that shows instant mpg.
I've certainly changed my driving habits after watching that line move up and down the mileage scale.
I kick off the cruise or let off the gas pedal way before I used to and the mileage indicator runs up to 30mpg while coasting up to a stop sign. Not so heavy on the gas when leaving the stop sign as I used to be as well.
My cousin bought one just like mine a month later with the 3:65 gearing. He is getting exactly the same mileage as I am. He has commented to me how that instant mileage indicator changed his driving style as well.
It's like an instant reward when you see the average mileage step up a notch.
I try to stay under 70 in my truck that seems to help but everyone else wants to run 85! I just let them go out around me cussing I'm sure.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Preferably with the engine off and using enough force to move the tires.
My helpers were always sweaty by the time it was located and had to drag em back when it came time to confirm the repair.
Also don’t forget to unload the weight off the tires and check for slop in the ball joints.
It wouldn't be much of a point in doing this if you don't turn the steering wheel enough to move the tires. Also, if you unload the weight off the tires to check the ball joints you might grab the tire at 6 and 12 o'clock and check for slop in the wheel bearings. You might have a combination of small issues causing your problem and not just one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom