2021 Waterfowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Okie4570 that’s awesome! And that’s like the perfect setup for September teal. I can’t wait until my girls are old enough to go with me. My 4 year old says she wants to sit in a ground bling and blow the goose call so I can shoot them. My 8 year old says she wants to hunt quail and see our pointers in action. I’m stoked!
I’ve scoured quite a bit east of 35 the past few days. No teals. Geese have been thick in eastern OK county. I was in Enid last week. Saw some good goose numbers. No ducks.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I went to start building my duck blind on my big water out East this morning, and there were teal all over my spot. I told my youngest daughter, and she said we should go shoot them. We’re going in the morning. She’s 4. She won’t shoot, but she’s going to learn what it’s all about!

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got to the water a bit late. Right at shooting light. 40 or so flew over where my spread should’ve been as I was walking down the hill. Never saw any more teal. We saw at least 20 woodies though! Several landed in my spread.

A lone honker buzzed us. I wadded him up at about 35-40 yards with a 3” #5. Granted, being a September bird, he wasn’t overly large. But still, I’m gonna gloat that I killed a Canadian goose at 35-40 yards with a 5. One shot. One kill.

I’m thinking with the temps being in the 40’s Wednesday morning, I’ll be in a duck blind rather than the office.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone taking kids, vets or AD out for ducks tomorrow? Geese opens as well. Panhandle ducks opened on Oct 9th but sounds like folks haven't seen much.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since this is the first year I'll be going duck hunting again in several years I hope it's not true but I saw on a waterfowl hunting forum that numbers are expected to be down significantly this year because the main nesting areas in Canada are suffering through a drought.........we'll see.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Since this is the first year I'll be going duck hunting again in several years I hope it's not true but I saw on a waterfowl hunting forum that numbers are expected to be down significantly this year because the main nesting areas in Canada are suffering through a drought.........we'll see.
Numbers have been down for years. I'm staying optimistic thinking that just because their normal nesting areas were dry, those birds just didn't land there, stay there and think "well, no water no eggs" lol. I'm sure they went on until they found water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom