2021 Waterfowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy called yesterday evening and he has to work next Saturday so we're going next Sunday morning........I do need to get off my dead butt and go to the P.O. and get a federal duck stamp this week.

Had fella I've known and duck hunted with a few times in years past give me two full boxes of 12 ga. Winch. 2 3/4" #4 steel Drylok's Tues.........sad, he's in pretty bad shape health wise and knows he'll never use them so he ask if I wanted them, naturally I tried to pay him for them but he wouldn't take my money.

With the six boxes + 18 shells I already had plus the two boxes that I was given this week that puts me at 218 shells.......since it's been awhile I know I'm pretty rusty but I figure I still should be able to get at least a couple with that many shells. :D

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy called yesterday evening and he has to work next Saturday so we're going next Sunday morning........I do need to get off my dead butt and go to the P.O. and get a federal duck stamp this week.

Had fella I've known and duck hunted with a few times in years past give me two full boxes of 12 ga. Winch. 2 3/4" #4 steel Drylok's Tues.........sad, he's in pretty bad shape health wise and knows he'll never use them so he ask if I wanted them, naturally I tried to pay him for them but he wouldn't take my money.

With the six boxes + 18 shells I already had plus the two boxes that I was given this week that puts me at 218 shells.......since it's been awhile I know I'm pretty rusty but I figure I still should be able to get at least a couple with that many shells. :D
I know I’m rusty. It showed during dove season for sure. 218 shots would probably get me through one hunt right now!

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made the most out of my early day (vet) on the 6th. All I wanted was one Wood Duck for the wall, and I've been up to my eyeballs with them in the creek just below my house.

Went out an hour after daylight and jumped some. Shot two, so I got my pick of which to eat and which to mount. I'm showing restraint...I still had a third shell in my shotgun and didn't attempt for the triple. I did that last year with Ring-necked ducks, and ended up having to eat the other two...and I'm not a huge fan of duck.

Screenshot_20211106-090200_Gallery.jpg

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made the most out of my early day (vet) on the 6th. All I wanted was one Wood Duck for the wall, and I've been up to my eyeballs with them in the creek just below my house.

Went out an hour after daylight and jumped some. Shot two, so I got my pick of which to eat and which to mount. I'm showing restraint...I still had a third shell in my shotgun and didn't attempt for the triple. I did that last year with Ring-necked ducks, and ended up having to eat the other two...and I'm not a huge fan of duck.

View attachment 232852
Good shooting. I love wood ducks.
For awhile anyway, then they're gone.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Purchased my federal duck stamp this morning and (as most already know) the duck depicted for 2021 is the Lesser Scaup which is classified as a diving duck.

Looking at the below map supposedly they are in Okla. during hunting season but I can't ever recall seeing or harvesting one.

2021 duck stamp.jpg

LS.jpg

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Purchased my federal duck stamp this morning and (as most already know) the duck depicted for 2021 is the Lesser Scaup which is classified as a diving duck.

Looking at the below map supposedly they are in Okla. during hunting season but I can't ever recall seeing or harvesting one.

View attachment 233138

View attachment 233139

They look so much like ring-neckeds that I'd have to pull up a photo to tell the difference.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could've limited out on scaubs saturday while goose hunting. There was at least 2 dozen swimming all around my blind (I was hunting honkers over water).

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

View attachment 233138

View attachment 233139
They like big water, like from a boat in the central and eastern part of the state.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to get into some waterfowl, but have never had the chance. Getting a dog next year too, so I figure I should at least try it out to give the dog more outings.

what’s the trick with ducks/honkers? Find a pond and sit down with some camo on next to it? Are decoys and all that stuff necessary for success?

Latest posts

Top Bottom