2022 Deer Pics/Chatter/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Back to running together
75E78277-8BD1-48A8-840F-312C9C97BE40.png

Shottyshooter90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've hunted my whole life sitting on the ground. Never had a tree stand or ground blind. You'll see a lot of head bobbing, foot stomping, blowing deer. Sit still, no rapid head moving, look out the corner of your eyes.
This is how I do it to, as well as teach kids and new comers this way. I find it much more enjoyable, its easy for newbies to get wrapped up in the hype of everything they need from tree stands to high dollar camo

Shottyshooter90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like/prefer older rifles, and I got the wild hair today to rescope and sight in my old “meat gun” that my parents gave me in about 1985. It’s a Ruger M77 Ultralite 270 Win, and I rescoped it with Leupold VariX III 3.5-10. For whatever reason, this gun won’t shoot a 130 gr bullet for crap, but it’s a tack driver with 150 gr bullet loads. I’ve killed well over 100 deer and pigs with it, but after the first shot, I remembered why I quit shooting this gun 25 years ago. It kicks like a dang mule!!!
View attachment 322873
The blueing and wood on those older rifles is so much deeper, gorgeous rifle you've got there! Wish there were more high gloss scopes available now days, kills it when you buy a good looking rifle and are limited to matte options.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how I do it to, as well as teach kids and new comers this way. I find it much more enjoyable, its easy for newbies to get wrapped up in the hype of everything they need from tree stands to high dollar camo
I had a discussion last week with my uncle who was my deer hunting mentor in the early 80’s, and we agree that if corn feeders, game cameras, and box stands were banned that 95% of the people hunting today (in TX for sure) would have no idea how to hunt a deer. I freely admit that I love using game cameras and the ease of hunting over a feeder, but I proved to myself a couple weeks ago that I do still have the ability to go into the woods and scout, set up on a trail with a scrape line, and really hunt.
As far as hunting attire, I pretty much wear to hunt what I wear to work but with a camo shirt. I’m definitely not a GQ hunter that looks like he just stepped out of a Cabelas catalog.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a discussion last week with my uncle who was my deer hunting mentor in the early 80’s, and we agree that if corn feeders, game cameras, and box stands were banned that 95% of the people hunting today (in TX for sure) would have no idea how to hunt a deer. I freely admit that I love using game cameras and the ease of hunting over a feeder, but I proved to myself a couple weeks ago that I do still have the ability to go into the woods and scout, set up on a trail with a scrape line, and really hunt.
As far as hunting attire, I pretty much wear to hunt what I wear to work but with a camo shirt. I’m definitely not a GQ hunter that looks like he just stepped out of a Cabelas catalog.
I am pretty anti-feeder myself but I love game cameras. I just like to see what is walking around, it is like Christmas morning for me every time I check the cards to see what has been passing through. Ironically, my best and most productive spots don’t have camera anywhere near them. Not sure why, I just never got around to putting them out by those stands.

tim003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had 3 bucks eating together at a feeder yesterday while doe were grazing the food plot.
Congrats to all of the people that have already harvested a deer, got quite a few nice bucks for this season so far.

It sounds like the bucks are back together in a small group now from the a couple posts above. Does anyone has any idea what rut phase are the deers currently in? We have not see any bucks on our game cameras or while hunting since muzzleloader season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom