2023 Garden thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I probably waited too long to germinate seeds. Will have check days to maturity.
Generally for starting seeds figure 6-8 weeks before planting plants. Cole crop hybrids are usually 50-70 days to maturity. For direct seeding in the ground figure mid August . With our existing warm weather you might give it a try.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I planted some onion sets in some big planters we used to keep around the pool before I removed the pool this spring. Got some great onions about 2-3" in diameter before we had to head off to Colorado for the summer. Used them and the greens for cooking.
Getting home a week ago, bought some onion seeds that went into the planters today. 110 days to maturity which probably won't happen, but I'll take whatever they produce. I hate seeing those big pots of soil out there without something growing in them.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I planted some onion sets in some big planters we used to keep around the pool before I removed the pool this spring. Got some great onions about 2-3" in diameter before we had to head off to Colorado for the summer. Used them and the greens for cooking.
Getting home a week ago, bought some onion seeds that went into the planters today. 110 days to maturity which probably won't happen, but I'll take whatever they produce. I hate seeing those big pots of soil out there without something growing in them.
They won't make bulbs this fall /winter. Day length will be too short. The day length determines when they initiate the bulbing process depending on the variety. They should make good onions next year if they don't bolt and go to seed.

The Texas 1015 onion got it's name for planting 10-15 / October 15.

I just reread your post and see you planted sets and not seeds. Sets are for green onions. Seeds/ or plants are for slicing onions or green immature onions.

Last edited:

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just so we are on the same page. Sets are the little bulbs.
04575.jpg

Plants are usually in bundles when purchasing
XN510.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom