22-250 for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 22-250 has always been my go to for everything deer size and smaller up until 12 yrs ago. Mine has taken over 15 deer probably closer to 20, lost count. I agree with shot placement, proper bullet design is key. Never had a deer run more than 40 yds and that was a double lung shot. I use multiple calibers deer hunting today but if I want to put meat on the table I'm grabbing my 22-250.
I had friend borrow my 22-250 for his son to use to deer hunt. They took it out and shot it a little so he could get use to it. When they brought it back after his son got his buck my friend made the comment " You just don't aim at the deer with that gun, you pick which hair you want to hit." I was laughing and he stated " That is the most accurate gun I ever shot, it will stack then in the same hole".

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy and his dad used 30-30 and 30-06 for years and I had to track deer every year for both of them.
I got tired of it and did a lot of bullet performance testing on deer I shot with bow and arrow.
I would cut the head and neck off and use it for testing bullet performance.

I found the 55 V max was excellent.
Same shot placement with that bullet from a 16" ar has allowed my friend to find every deer by himself.
None made it more than 40 yards.
Good old 30-30 and 30-06 crushing bones and almost removing front leg allowed the deer to travel many hundreds of yards.
I used to be on the bigger is better group.
Results speak louder than larger calibers.

That 55v-max I have used and shot a huge bore hog through the shoulder plate and into the heart.
Rolled down the small hill and never flinched after he hit the bottom.
Shoulder Shields in Feral Hogs – Feral Hogs

Here is the one that rolled down the hill.
1692219339698.png

Correct bullet for the job and the correct velocity to make that bullet perform. Pretty simple.

I have a 30-30, .243, 30-06, .308, 6.5cm, 6.5x55 swede 45 acp (Hi-Point pistol) 16" 5.56 and 22" .223 that have all taken 1 shot kills on deer.
.223 is my favorite.
It's super accurate, light ,fast and deadly.
22-250 I see no problems with it.

People that say no to a certain legal sized caliber can't shoot or can't hunt, it's as simple as that.

My above friend and his dad could not shoot or hunt well at all. Took many years to train them to wait for the shot.
I would bet in 10 years they fed at least 20 deer to the coyotes.

Bad shots with the 55 v max still resulted in food on the table. It delivers the shock and trauma needed.

Friends worst odd shot was the bullet traveling under the skin for the entire side of a deer 55 V-Max and the deer jumped a barbed wire fence and fell over.
No vitals as it never entered the meat. Odd things happen.

We all like different things so use what works for you.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to say ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. 270 and 270 wsm are perfect for deer and elk, unless you’re shooting way, way, way out there but ‘Most’ shots are less than 200 yds in Oklahoma . I said most, so no neg responses from any of you long distance killers out there please.
You won't hear any from me. I keep my corn and rice bran piles close lol.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it’s too small. You could end up losing your deer because there’s, IMO, not enough kinetic energy to really drop them and they could run a mile before dropping and you won’t find it. It would be all about distance and shot placement. Kind of like shooting with AR 5.56, just too much chance of wounding and never finding it. IMO 243 is the smallest I’ll hunt with and I don’t use it if I’m going after a buck. It’s just more of an ethical decision for me and for the animal. You can kill a deer with a 22 LR if you can put it right through the ear into the brain. The issue is that it’s unethical and illegal mostly for that reason. One shot, one quick kill. The larger calibers carry such kinetic energy they produce shock waves on impact that stop the animal from running far, most of the time. Still need good shot placement. I’m going to the 6.5 Creedmoor this year but if it doesn’t deliver that ‘Impact’, I’ll go back to 270. If I’m after a trophy I’m using my 300 shortmag. I’m not losing a trophy I’m after with ammo too small to get the job done right.
I though you just hunted wabbits

Latest posts

Top Bottom