22-250 for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My boy has several caliber rifles, .308, 30-06. .223, etc etc but he took a 25-06 as payment for a job he did and he's taken several deer with it, he's a USMC vet though and you know what they say. "Every Marine is a rifleman"...

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My boy has several caliber rifles, .308, 30-06. .223, etc etc but he took a 25-06 as payment for a job he did and he's taken several deer with it, he's a USMC vet though and you know what they say. "Every Marine is a rifleman"...

.25-06 is an excellent round. Great for anything you'll find around here!

joshuacarrifee35

Marksman
Reaction score
Hi Joshua,

We actually have lived in Gilbert Arizona since 2009. My eldest son and I each have harvested two Coues deer. My youngest son has not had his own tag before. His Fort Huachuca hunt is in 35B. It has its own lottery number for folks with access to the installation (I'm retired Army). The weekend after my boy's hunt, I'm headed to Checotah Oklahoma for rifle season. We bought a quarter of land near there in 2022, so I'm done with the AZ lottery :-)
That’s really cool about you getting land we are also going up to Oklahoma leaving the 16 th for the rifle deer going in blind but found some good looking public on onX so if I can find our little clues should be able to find deer in Oklahoma well I hope lol. Best of luck to you guys

joshuacarrifee35

Marksman
Reaction score
Well the trip was amazing this country is a lot different from what I am used to but man it’s beautiful. Got a decent 3x3 at packsaddle 20yard shot next trip gonna bring a 3030

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpeg
    IMG_0374.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations on the deer!

ETA: You likely know AZ requires out of state deer to be deboned and free of any CNS tissue. Doing so with the buck and doe I brought back last year saved me some grief. I pulled up to Southwest Processing in San Tan Valley and a sign read “We’re full; not accepting deer or elk; call in a week” But, they made an exception for my deboned animals. Meat was in cloth game bags. If you’re not processing your own, they do great work!

Last edited:

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well the trip was amazing this country is a lot different from what I am used to but man it’s beautiful. Got a decent 3x3 at packsaddle 20yard shot next trip gonna bring a 3030
Congratulations on a successful hunt. Alot of deer have been dropped with the old 30/30 but depending on where you hunt it wouldn't be my only tool. Bring it as a option for conditions or old mossy head will surely be just out of range. Believe me it happens. Congrats again.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations on a successful hunt. Alot of deer have been dropped with the old 30/30 but depending on where you hunt it wouldn't be my only tool. Bring it as an option for conditions or old mossy head will surely be just out of range. Believe me it happens. Congrats again.
I agree with this, but Hornady LeverEvolution ammo has extended the 30-30 range quite a bit. I’ve killed pigs with mine at 200 yards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom