.22 Rimfire Ammo - Just for fun and 'some' information

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have seen a ton of discussion on .22 Rimfire Ammo lately. Most with regard to prices and availability. Do many folks really 'look' at that number of different makes and types of .22 ammo out there?

I will just start with a little bit on Sub-Sonic and .22 Short Ammo. I shoot a CAN on pistols and rifles and really have fun with the sub-sonic ammo ......

I also have a pistol that is chambered for .22 Short only as well as being compensated.

[Broken External Image]
Hammereli Model 232​

Today my buddy gave me 4 boxes of Aguila 60gr .22LR SSS Ammo and I had never even seen this type of cartridge before.
[Broken External Image]
The case is the same as used for .22 Shorts. I am really looking forward to trying them out.​

These are Match Target .22 Shorts - Note the Copper Case ....
[Broken External Image]

These are 22LR 38gr Sub Sonic and the type I use the most in my rifles and the AR Pistol.
[Broken External Image]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfEX6s0UvlU

That was this one in the You Tube Video - ^^^^^^^ LOL

[Broken External Image]
The 'Chat Special'​

Has anyone found a good dependable .22LR Sub-sonic round that 'will' cycle a semi auto pistol or rifle without issues ????

OK, that's all I have for now but I hope others jump in and add more .22 info to this thread. (Yes, I sure hope those dang prices start coming down faster!)

Last edited:

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
federal white box worked for me up until this last box i got. Complete crap. The Remington 22 thunderbolts always work well for me. They have a black coating on the bullets and they seem well made.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried the Aquila, they worked in my Colt Woodsman and Ruger 10/22. They also functioned in a Henry 22 lever action, but apparently that rifle had slow rifling as the bullets keyholed badly out of it.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use CCI SV in my Integrally suppressed Ruger MKII and they stay subsonic.

http://youtu.be/N9kJg423T8A

i29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_rug.jpg

Last edited:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had good luck with the Aguila 60gr .22LR SSS Ammo while shooting with a can. When I put the can on my old .22 bolt action Remington rifle, I can pull the trigger, you can hear the firing pin strike the case and then hear a sound like a BB gun and then the bullet impact the target. Most of the time it's "movie quiet".

soonerbulldog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CCI subsonic in my supressed 15-22 and m&p pistol works like a charm. Only place to buy it however is on gunbroker. I've never tried the Rem subs but will try them soon.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful with the Aguila 60gr SSS and a can. Most barrels have too slow a twist and you will end up with baffle strikes.
Look at CCI Segmented Ammo #0074 if you are looking for pest control. It is 40gn and subsonic. It will run my 10/22 and is VERY quite in my Savage Bolt MK II and suppressor.
I’m trying to find the same in the #0064 32 grn segmented. I know it will be supersonic, but I’d like to see what it will do in a pistol length. It is rated at 1650fps so that should put it in stinger territory and may go super with even a short barrel.

I mainly run CCI Minimags. They will stay subsonic in my short barrels and are my “go-to” ammo in anything that is finicky at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom