.223 for bigger varmits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i dunno if thiers any truth to this but ive heard that, the government has released the lions to control deer population.. ive seen a couple on my lease as well.. really want one but i also heard shooting one is illeagal...

Buy Sheep.
Let Mnt Lion kill sheep.
Kill Mnt Lion.
Claim nuisance kill.

;)

Of course, I cannot endorse/condone this method.

;) ;) ;)

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
the mountain lion has been removed from the protected list.
page 7 of the regs. open season year around with a valid hunting license.only if it is a nuisance,safety or health hazard (it was attacking me officer!)
you must immediately call the warden to inspect.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i dunno if thiers any truth to this but ive heard that, the government has released the lions to control deer population.. ive seen a couple on my lease as well.. really want one but i also heard shooting one is illeagal...

World's greatest rumor. But not true that the Wildlife dept released them.
There are cougars in Ok and have been in the past. There is documented evidence of one in Kay county in the 70's that took sheep, and was killed by a licensed state cat hunter from Colorado hired by Okla. It likely came down the Arkansas river from Colo., and had a couple of toes missing on a front paw for whatever reason that probably caused it to kill the sheep. In the early 2000's a male was killed by a coal train at Red Rock in NC Okla. He was collared and came from South Dakota in 6 months. Again another documented animal.
The Daily Oklahoman Outdoor writer has written about a breeding population in the Witchita Mt area. We have that news report on our wall at work as we speak.
Yes they are here, but hunters are needed to control the deer population, not cougars, and the wildlife dept did not stock them.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To hunt deer with a .223, your mag must hold no more than 5 rounds. CB

Well - its 7rds but good luck finding a Mini-14 or AR mag that only holds 7rds. You can modify a 10, 20, or 30 rounder with a dowel or something, but its easier for me to just carry a 5rd mag. That goes for any .22 caliber center-fire rifle :)

How many rifles do you know that are box-mag fed and .22 caliber center-fire? I can think of exactly two (aside from a .223 AK variant). That's honestly the dumbest rule in the ODWC regs because you can carry an AK in 7.62 or any other caliber (besides .223) with a 30rd mag, but those damn ARs and Mini-14s are soooooo evil that you can only have 7rds.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if it is just for coyotes but have it with me while deer hunting along with my deer rifle? can I have a 30rnd mag in it then?

I don't know why you'd want a 30rd mag for coyotes (or a separate gun for that matter), but from how I'm reading the regs (I'm not 100% sure about this), if you are out during Deer rifle (on public land) hunting for coyotes, you have to adhere to the legal means of taking whatever is in season.

This is why for Hogs, I can't have a 30rd mag during Deer rifle, but any other time of year, there is no limit to mag capacity for hunting hogs - now it goes a long way to say that if a game warden is out, you need to know that they don't all know every reg, so I'd have a copy of the regs with me if you wanted to push anything (hunting hogs/coyotes with a suppressor is one of those issues - technically, they're not game animal, so it is legal, but try explaining that to a game warden that doesn't know better).

Here's where you can find hunting regs for all of the various seasons:

http://wildlifedepartment.com/huntregs.htm

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the reason is. All I have for my ak is 30rnd'ers And it is not public land it is owned by a farmer and we lease it. does that make a difference?

I don't know why you'd want a 30rd mag for coyotes (or a separate gun for that matter), but from how I'm reading the regs (I'm not 100% sure about this), if you are out during Deer rifle (on public land) hunting for coyotes, you have to adhere to the legal means of taking whatever is in season.

This is why for Hogs, I can't have a 30rd mag during Deer rifle, but any other time of year, there is no limit to mag capacity for hunting hogs - now it goes a long way to say that if a game warden is out, you need to know that they don't all know every reg, so I'd have a copy of the regs with me if you wanted to push anything (hunting hogs/coyotes with a suppressor is one of those issues - technically, they're not game animal, so it is legal, but try explaining that to a game warden that doesn't know better).

Here's where you can find hunting regs for all of the various seasons:

http://wildlifedepartment.com/huntregs.htm

Latest posts

Top Bottom