.223 for bigger varmits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have and love an AR-15 I go to the range and play alot. But my question os more about the .223 round in general. is it sufficient enough to drop bigger varmits in their tracks? if so what store bought ammo do you recommend. I have seen several coyote's on our deer lease and Have heard there is a mountain lion or two. don't wan't to shoot something and having it run off. but don't want to head shoot a nice coyote or mountain lion either.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
223 is perfect for coyotes IMO. I don't believe it is legal to shoot mountain lions in OK unless they are attacking livestock. Then you have to contact the OKWD immediately and let them extract a tooth.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.223 will kill coyotes cleanly and as far as mountain lions are concerned I have no clue. (Insert third hand anticdotal evidence of cougar in Okla. that someone could have killed)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for the reply's guys. do you guys use ballistic tipped ammo or just hollowpoint in the higher grains or what?

I actually just switched to some Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr Sierra MatchKing BTHP rounds that probably aren't ideal for hunting bigger stuff, but they are very accurate and hold pretty true to where my 55gr rounds end up at 100yds (so I don't have to keep re-sighting in my rifle when hunting/plinking).

I've hunted with Corbon DPX and some of Federal's other stuff too - the Gold Match ammo that I'm using will easily drop a hog (its what I use it for primarily), and coyotes, etc... but I'd probably use something with a ballistic tip in 75gr for going after deer (Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips are my favorite round for deer).

Bill's Sporting goods in Claremore should have something - I do most of my hunting-ammo shopping at Sports World in Tulsa.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Where are you finding Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips in 69 and 75 grain bullets loading. I can't even find them in their catalog. Matter of fact I can't find any ballistic tip in any weight over 60 grains for reloading. Please help. KurtM

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where are you finding Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips in 69 and 75 grain bullets loading. I can't even find them in their catalog. Matter of fact I can't find any ballistic tip in any weight over 60 grains for reloading. Please help. KurtM

Man I just looked and my old box of .223 Ballistic Silvertips are 55gr. I guess I should have qualified that statement with the fact that it is my favorite round in .308 (168gr) - I haven't used them for quite a while in .223.

I think they were too hard to find or something because I only have half a box left in an ammo can in my closet and I haven't bought any in a long while since I started using this Federal 69gr. I think I may have even deer hunted with the 55gr based on what I had read about it (if I remember correctly, this was one of the first rounds I ever hunted with back when all I had was a Mini-14 :D).

Academy has the Silvertips in .308 so if I can't find them anywhere else, I get them there but I think I had some trouble finding them anywhere in the Tulsa area in .223 and that's why I went with the Federals that I found at SportsWorld.

kbi83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i dunno if thiers any truth to this but ive heard that, the government has released the lions to control deer population.. ive seen a couple on my lease as well.. really want one but i also heard shooting one is illeagal...

Latest posts

Top Bottom