243 Bullet selection for hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not want to turn this into a debate about which CANNON you need for a hog.

I have never owned a 243 before but I have killed hogs with .223, 22-250, .270, and 7 mag. I was wondering what ammo you all have had success with using a 243. I would normally just use the .270 but I got a r-25 in 243. I will be switching out the barrel and bolt later to convert it to a 308 but until then I need some suggestions. (I know you do not have to switch the bolt)

Thanks a ton, and good hunting.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iv killed 2 with 75gr vmax. dropped the 30 pounder in its tracks after it let out a scream. Momma charged me i dropped her with 2 shots. Not sure if both rounds hit her. I was pointing and shooting and screaming and running backwards like a little girl. My last shot was at 5 feet in front of me. She turned and ran 20 yards and went down. I was not even looking through the scope while i was shooting. My buddy was laughing at me standing on the 4 wheeler.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The heaviest bullet you can load. (110 grain?).
And don't forget your pistol.

I don't necessarily think you need the heaviest bullet you can load, because with proper shot placement, you can drop them with a 55gr .223, but I absolutely agree with the pistol part. I don't hunt Hogs with a bolt gun (I use my AR) and I always carry a pistol (then again, I don't hunt from a stand and just mostly hike around in the bottoms).

I typically use 68gr and 75gr .223 rounds so I would imagine that you could use some of the smaller .243 ammo with little problems.

Big males aren't even that scary when you stumble on a mama and her babies, that's when its good to have a semi-auto that's easy to wield and aim at multiple targets quickly.

I've seen huge hogs that were pretty docile and I've seen little ones that were pretty angry and aggressive but I've yet to see a great big hog that just wanted to come after me yet.

Hopefully I never do, but if they start coming, I've got plenty of quick shots for them :)

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wondered if you would catch that. My youngest is looking forward to trying it out on deer soon. Should get into the hogs in December.

You ever see the hog pics form last years opening weekend? I took both of them with that .243 along with a buck and doe....

Damn good weekend.

I have the pics, I will email them to you...

Latest posts

Top Bottom