243 Bullet selection for hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason for multiple shots is that not is not uncommon to have 20+ hogs in a field at one time. In West Texas it is kind of an extermination job, the hogs have taken over and are destroying everything. I know it is not the best "sportsman" thing to do, but we just knock as many as we can down, then reload and finish off any that are still struggling. We killed over 60 in three weekends last year, and two years before that when I went to college in W. Texas I probably killed well over 200. The 200 was between two ranches, my ranch and a buddies ranch that I went to school with. My cousin lives in Wichita Falls and said hog numbers have increased a lot in the last few years around there. I know they are already in OK, but not like they are in other parts of the country, but they will be soon.

Didn't consider that. They haven't gotten that bad around here...yet.

Kevintx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter the size of the bullet. I use whatever is cheapest for hogs in my 243. Try to hit them in the neck a little higher than midway. They will buckle. If you shoot for the heart, the heart is nearly between their front. Legs and kind of low. They will normally run a good ways if you only catch the lungs.
I've killed more hogs with a .22 or .223 than any other round, and I've killed a bunch.

squint

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Certain areas on the east side of the state allow only .22 lr or .22 mag. Most head shoot with lever actions...some use scopes or my preference a red dot.

Squint

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a lot of people shoot them too high thinking their anatomy is similar to a deer.

BINGO! The heart in a hog is much lower in the body cavity and a little further foreword.

A lot of people take the shot as if they were shooting at a deer and that results in a lung shot. I think that is why so many people swear you need an RPG to take them down.

Generally the heart is right above the "elbow" joint.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BINGO! The heart in a hog is much lower in the body cavity and a little further foreword.

A lot of people take the shot as if they were shooting at a deer and that results in a lung shot. I think that is why so many people swear you need an RPG to take them down.

Generally the heart is right above the "elbow" joint.

I went on a bow hunt on the blue river a couple of years ago and the guy that was leasing the blinds had a pic of one that he had filleted to show us where to put an arrow. Its exactly where you said, and he advised us to let the hog take a step forward so the elbow joint would not be in the way of the broadhead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom