243 Bullet selection for hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How did you like the 243 performance on hogs? I am just debating whether I should switch the barrel to 308 or keep it a 243, most of the use will be on hogs, but I think I can get a lot more shots on target quickly with a 243 than a 308.

Thanks a ton!

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the idea of multiple shots any way?
What would be wrong with putting your one best bullet out there?
My own .243's kill deer like lightening bolts. I love the round.
Hogs are big tough animals.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did you like the 243 performance on hogs? I am just debating whether I should switch the barrel to 308 or keep it a 243, most of the use will be on hogs, but I think I can get a lot more shots on target quickly with a 243 than a 308.

Thanks a ton!

Hogs dropped where they stood. The farthest hog out was around 160 yards. She never knew what hit her.
Same with deer, Every white tail I took with that round, never took another step. When hit, they dropped. Cant go wrong with a .243.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the idea of multiple shots any way?
What would be wrong with putting your one best bullet out there?
My own .243's kill deer like lightening bolts. I love the round.
Hogs are big tough animals.

The reason for multiple shots is that not is not uncommon to have 20+ hogs in a field at one time. In West Texas it is kind of an extermination job, the hogs have taken over and are destroying everything. I know it is not the best "sportsman" thing to do, but we just knock as many as we can down, then reload and finish off any that are still struggling. We killed over 60 in three weekends last year, and two years before that when I went to college in W. Texas I probably killed well over 200. The 200 was between two ranches, my ranch and a buddies ranch that I went to school with. My cousin lives in Wichita Falls and said hog numbers have increased a lot in the last few years around there. I know they are already in OK, but not like they are in other parts of the country, but they will be soon.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hogs dropped where they stood. The farthest hog out was around 160 yards. She never knew what hit her.
Same with deer, Every white tail I took with that round, never took another step. When hit, they dropped. Cant go wrong with a .243.

Thanks for the info. What size hogs are you talking about? Generally we see hogs that are anywhere from 50-200lbs. We have the occasional hog that will push 300 but he always gets the first shot which is a head shot, so I am not that worried about performance on large hogs.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. What size hogs are you talking about? Generally we see hogs that are anywhere from 50-200lbs. We have the occasional hog that will push 300 but he always gets the first shot which is a head shot, so I am not that worried about performance on large hogs.

Anywhere from 60lbs to about 200lbs live weight.

I know guys who hunt them with ARs, so if a 223 can drop them, you will have no problems with a .243

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot a few with a .223 but I always took head shots. I am just wondering about how a 243 will preform on a heart shot.

The heart will blow up....I took a sow that dressed at 148lbs, shot was ideal, behind her right front leg, midway up the body, she dropped dead in her tracks, never even twitched, and I was disappointed, sometimes I like to see something twitch just a little...

Latest posts

Top Bottom