243 Bullet selection for hogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigkindlesmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use 100 grain Hornady. Not because they are any better, I just like Hornady and I do lean towards heavier bullets. Just a personal preferance. I also use 95 grain Winchester Silvertips. They are just as, if not more, effective as the Hornady on deer. The Winchester doesn't exit as often as the Hornady's do. That's why I think the heavier bullet would work better on hogs. That's not to say a different 95 grain wouldn't zip right through.

As far as the hogs in Oklahoma.... Down south here ODWC come through in helicopters about 3 times a year to shoot them from the air. We are litterally over run. They pass out spot light permits to land owners like candy. It's just thick.

Kevintx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
BINGO! The heart in a hog is much lower in the body cavity and a little further foreword.

A lot of people take the shot as if they were shooting at a deer and that results in a lung shot. I think that is why so many people swear you need an RPG to take them down.

Generally the heart is right above the "elbow" joint.

Dead on. When I take new people out hunting with the dogs, I bet 90% stick them too high and too far back. Even after I show them where. They just don't believe it until after they can't kill one quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom