3 Handguns Now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After much looking at the local shops and ranges, I've finally decided that I want to buy 3 guns to cover all angles/uses.

1) I want a large, acurate, fast (fps/enery) caliber gun, because I just want one:

Solution: Sig Sauer P226 - 357SIG - 4.4" Barrel

2) A smaller caliber gun with a large capacity just for shooting around my parents place at targets, varmints, etc, and home protection.

Solution: Springfield Armory - XD(M) - 9mm - 3.8" Barrel

3) A subcompact for eventual CCW

Solution: Kahr - P380

Anyone have issues with any of the above? Advice? or Right in Line?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Large and accurate. Glock 21 or Sig P-220. Both are .45 ACP.

2. A smaller caliber gun with a large capacity. Glock 17 orSig P-226 9mm.

3. A subcompact. Glock subcompact. 9mm

Reaction score
Let's take them in backwards order:

I like your choice for #3 - the new Kahr P380 is what I have and what I now carry everday in a SmartCarry rig. (I am also considering the following 9mms as possible future choices for SmartCarry EDC: Rohrbaugh R9, Boberg XR9, MSAR Archangel, KT PF-9, and Taurus 709 SLIM).

On #2, I like your caliber choice, but for your stated purpose, I recommend a longer barrel with longer sight radius. Something with a 4.5-5.5" bbl. Brand, take your pic. I like CZs, Sigs, 1911s, BHPs, and Kahrs best. If you get one of the "tactical" length XDs or Tauri, they have a nice long sight radius and a 5-5.5" bbl. [[FYI, if it helps you any: I keep a CZ 85 Combat (9x19mm) by the bedside, and also often carry it in a paddle holster, and I keep a Taurus 24/7 OSS-DS in .45 acp in a safe in the pickup - this is their longer-slide 'tactical' model.]]

On #1, gun choice is good, but no way jose on the caliber. If lotsa power AND hi-cap is what you're looking for, then why not get an STI (or similar custom/semi-custom) 6" longslide double-stack 1911 in 9x23 Winchester/Dillon, which will hold TWENTY rounds in an almost-flush mag, and give you the same performance as the .357 mag?!? Compensate it and it will be FAST. That's what I'd do, and plan to. Poor man's route to this outcome is an EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness Elite in .38 super. The .357 sig made sense during the 10 year standard cap magazine ban, but not anymore.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or you could buy 1 gun that does all 3 - Glock 23 with a .357SIG barrel and 9mm conversion barrel.

Glock 23 w/barrel for .357SIG fun.

Glock 23 w/ 9mm barrel for high cap fun. (Glock 33rnd mags)

Glock 23 (.40sw) for CCW.

You save money this way. You have only one manual of arms to learn. The money you save in firearms means you can pay for training (much more useful than an additional gun). "Beware the man with one gun - he probably knows how to use it."

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or you could buy 1 gun that does all 3 - Glock 23 with a .357SIG barrel and 9mm conversion barrel.

You save money this way. You have only one manual of arms to learn. The money you save in firearms means you can pay for training (much more useful than an additional gun). "Beware the man with one gun - he probably knows how to use it."
<ROFL>

I like your style...

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like your advice. Probably the 380 too though. the 357SIG is the unkown for me.

I'd rather have a 9mm compact over the 380. If you get a .357 sig, do yourself a favor and buy the .40 barrel too. You will be shooting 40 far more than the .357 sig (I do)

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

What? No Advantage Arms .22 Conversion kit?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I it was me just starting with what I know now, and I wasn't considering revolvers, and using you're guidelines. I'd get 3 Glocks.

1 - Glock 10mm full size

2 - Glock 19 9mm compact

3 - Glock 26 9mm subcompact

Latest posts

Top Bottom