300 Win Mag Load for Deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just started using a 300 Win Mag a few years ago. Until opening day this year all shots had been over 100 yards.

I shot the largest bodied buck I've ever killed using 165gr Hornady Interlocks with a muzzel velocity of around 3100fps. I hit the buck at 30 yards text book behind the shoulder just below half way up. The processor told me I ruined most of the rib meat and most of both shoulders losing about 40lbs of meat.

I'm thinking of going to 180gr barnes bullet.

Anyone had any luck with a all around deer load for the 300? I hate wasting meat!

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Are you planning to handload? If so, back your loads off to 308 velocities. As long as your making good accurate shots, it doesn't take much. Option #2 would be neck shots

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I've thought about backing off the loads. 1) the rifle is semi auto so I need to make sure it functions with the light loads, 2) not sure I want to give up the flat trajectory (I know I'm wanting to have my cake and eat it too)

For now I'm planning on neck shots at close ranges.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My .308 sending the 178A max down range would remove both shoulders.
I went to the 168 a max.. less destruction and like the 178 dead on the spot.
I will need to put a great word in for the 165 Game king by sierra ..The HP game king is the one i liked best.

I really like to avoid shoulder shots. You can have the rib meat..So double lung or neck shots for me.
Even the .243 with 87gr V max to the neck kills them on the spot.

One bullet i used that penciled through was the sierra palma 155gr.
I would bet the 300wm would kill really well with a neck shot or double lung..I have used the 150gr Hornady #3031 it is flat base spitzer in my 30-06 at 3000 fps

Necks and double lung shots..One into the chest deer heading at me..Did not mess up much meat.
The double lung hit ribs and golf ball size exit and sprayed red for 40 feet out and 10 feet wide.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
180gr accubonds and 150gr Barnes out of my 30-378wby, both zipped in, zipped out with little destruction. I'm not sure if there's a whitetail in OK that has 40lbs of front shoulder meat anyway. We ground the the butt, tenderloin, backstraps, front shoulders off of the 230lb dressed ML buck earlier this year, and it yielded just under 40lbs iirc, I'll have to go count packages.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
180gr accubonds and 150gr Barnes out of my 30-378wby, both zipped in, zipped out with little destruction. I'm not sure if there's a whitetail in OK that has 40lbs of front shoulder meat anyway. We ground the the butt, tenderloin, backstraps, front shoulders off of the 230lb dressed ML buck earlier this year, and it yielded just under 40lbs iirc, I'll have to go count packages.

Do have a can on that thing. When I use to guide mule deer and elk hunters if they were shooting a 30/378 I would tell them jokingly that they need to furnish me ear protection if I was going to be there guide.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just can't help myself I have to know why in the world would anybody use a 300 win to hunt deer no disrespect just curious

It does sound a bit over-powered, but if someone just has one rifle, the 300 WinMag will handle anything on North America. Still, if it was a bolt gun, I'd load it down a lot. The 300 is a belted case so the round can safely be downloaded.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Do have a can on that thing. When I use to guide mule deer and elk hunters if they were shooting a 30/378 I would tell them jokingly that they need to furnish me ear protection if I was going to be there guide.

It's a Sako, not a Accumark with a ported barrel, so it's no louder than any other magnum, still quieter than a magnum revolver :)

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just can't help myself I have to know why in the world would anybody use a 300 win to hunt deer no disrespect just curious

It's one of my favorites (next to souped up 7mm's ) for deer. Granted I take way longer shots than a lot of guys. I appreciate the ballistics myself. I shoot the two I have all the time and am confident in the accuracy. To the op I use the 180gn Barnes in mine with exceptional accuracy. If you hit one in the shoulder you will lose some meat. If you hit them behind in the lungs you'll be fine. I prefer neck/head shots myself if possible. H4831 powder is what I use in my kimber and sendero. H1000 worked good as well as imr7878sc with that bullet my kimber dosent like the bullets seated as long as my sendero. I've loaned the kimber to three friends that all killed elk with the same load as well as one I killed. Ranges where from 145-405 yards. I shoot several coyotes with that combo as well and pelt damage is minimal. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449281635.289836.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1449281673.457185.jpg

The coyote was shot with a 180gn Barnes the exit is on that side. The heart from a good buck I killed a few years ago. If you are only hunting whitetail the 168gn Barnes ttsx would be a good option as well. The 180's just shoot too good for me to try another weight bullet.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom