.300 Winmag Build In Southpaw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brother Bob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a previous thread, I had inquired about building my existing Ruger bolt into a 1,000yd. shooter. I was advised against it because of the Ruger action. So my question is this, should I purchase a Savage or Remington and start from there? Or should I just purchase a good barreled action from say, Montana Rifles and build from that? Thanks folks........

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A remington long action blue printed will cost you around $600-$1000 depending on how you have it built.

You could buy a Surgeon short action RSR action for aprox. $760. They are EDM machined and will have the best reslae value.
The 300WM is a very proven caliber but in the last 5+ years there has been better options than the 300 WM in short action calibers.

I am also a southpaw shooter but shoot all my long-guns right handed because the port is on the right side which allows me to see what I am doing such as single feed, press check ect. Also my trigger hand never leaves the stock as my weak hand manipulates the bolt and then sets up the rear bag. If you look at right handed bench rest shooters on the line a good number of them have left handed rifles built.

Brother Bob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A remington long action blue printed will cost you around $600-$1000 depending on how you have it built.

You could buy a Surgeon short action RSR action for aprox. $760. They are EDM machined and will have the best reslae value.
The 300WM is a very proven caliber but in the last 5+ years there has been better options than the 300 WM in short action calibers.

I am also a southpaw shooter but shoot all my long-guns right handed because the port is on the right side which allows me to see what I am doing such as single feed, press check ect. Also my trigger hand never leaves the stock as my weak hand manipulates the bolt and then sets up the rear bag. If you look at right handed bench rest shooters on the line a good number of them have left handed rifles built.

What seemed like a good idea is beginning to fade. So fill me in on some alternative choices........Thanks

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look into the 7WSM, 300WSM for magnum velocities 284/6.5-284, or 6mm Ackley for the .473 bolt face.

You should know that you can make a very effective 1000 yard rig by utilizing a barrel that can stabilize the heavy, long, low drag bullets for the caliber of your choosing.

buster11

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you still wanted a 300wm, Surgeon also makes a round long action, the RLR, that is not listed on their website. You would have to call and get a price but i think it would be around $800-$900.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What seemed like a good idea is beginning to fade. So fill me in on some alternative choices........Thanks

Accurate 1000yd. rifles are not built on a dime. On the low end use a Rem. 700. The Savage may be stout but that Accu-Trigger is a joke, its for those that don't know what a good trigger is. Most serious long range shooters are moving away from those magnum rounds, barrel life and throat erosion. The .260 Rem. and the 6.5x47 Lapua at 2800/2850 with 130/140g. match bullets rule the roost these days

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Accurate 1000yd. rifles are not built on a dime. On the low end use a Rem. 700. The Savage may be stout but that Accu-Trigger is a joke, its for those that don't know what a good trigger is. Most serious long range shooters are moving away from those magnum rounds, barrel life and throat erosion. The .260 Rem. and the 6.5x47 Lapua at 2800/2850 with 130/140g. match bullets rule the roost these days

If you want a good 1000 yard rifle under a tight budget I would get a Surgeon round action. They will have alll the option built in that you will need for a 1/4" rifle. Resale will always be better and finding parts will be easier.
The Savages are great but what you save up front might not be worth the trouble down the road.
The 260 and 6.5x47L are good for the short game (600yard line) but the 7mm and 30cal is going to outperform it in the wind past 600. The 6.5x47L is an outstanding caliber and inherently very accurate with very good barrel life and great bullet/brass selection.
If you like the lighter recoil rifles my favorite is the .243 AI shooting the 115 DTac bullets around 3150 fps (cheap bullets high bc and Lapua brass)
I have two 7 WSM's that easily pushes the 180gr Berger at 3050fps. I have a pic that was takin last week at 650 yards that has 5 shot group under 2".
The recoil is less than a .243 with a muzzle brake and 15-18" less wind drift
at 1k than the 260. The barrel life on a .260/6.5x47L is aprox 2800 rounds and the 7 WSM will be around 1,800 rounds and the .243 AI around 2,500.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

6.5X55 would also be a good choice, and you can get target grade rifles from www.simpsonltd.com here is one representative of whats available. Prices will differ.
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=14403&osCsid=67fadf1394cc19dd252d08540e520ce4

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are really serious about building an accurate rifle I would recommend you take a look here. http://viperactions.com/ I shoot 100/200 yard Benchrest and I have two of the aluminum Viper actions. Super slick operating. For your intended use I would look at the Diamondback. Then put an appropriate barrel on it. Kreiger, Bartlein, Shilen, PacNor, etc. And get the Select Match grade barrel. You might also take a look at http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=BSS If you order from the manufacturer you may have to wait up to 4-6 months. Bruno's carries a lot of barrels, actions, etc in stock. Also take a look at http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html Lots of info on long range shooting there. You just might end up with a 6XC or something similar shooting 108-115 grain 6mm bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom