.303 Brit Go/No Go Gauges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaydenSixsmith

New to the site!
Reaction score
Just bought an enfield from a pawn shop. Buddy of mine said to get the headspacing checked because that’s often a point of failure. Anyone have a source that has gauges for it? I’ve called just about all the places I thought might and nobody seems to.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The failure would be a blow primer.
Some brass has a thicker rim than others and may be enough thickness to eliminate any head space issues the rifle may have.

If it was my rifle I would secure it on a test firing stand and string pull the trigger and then remove the case and inspect.
If it blows primers I would then begin checking rim thickness on different ammo.

Good video explaining some of that.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my quick headspace check I do when I don't have a gauge. This doesn't replace a proper check with a gauge, but can at least give you an idea if the headspace is close in a pinch. I'm not responsible if you try this and go boom so find the gauge if you can.

Remove the firing pin if you can. This makes the test easier to "feel" resistance. On Mausers types this is easy, but on the Enfield it requires special tools.

Cut a round piece of electrical tape the same diameter or smaller than a .303 case rim and stick it to the bottom of a full length sized case (or new factory cartridge if you can do this safely). Carefully insert the case on the bolt making sure the tape does not move and the bolt extractor is over the rim. Chamber the case and carefully rotate the bolt handle closed until it meets resistance. If the bolt will not close without resistance, you are most likely in spec. If it does not have any resistance closing, then it probably is out of spec and needs to be double checked with a No-Go gauge.

An alterative to the tape can be two round shims cut from a soda can placed on the bolt face. If there is resistance on one shim you are good. If it closes on two, you may be out of spec.

Enfield's have replaceable bolt heads with different numbers on them. The larger the number, the tighter they make the headspace. If you can find them, they may bring a rifle in spec.

Or try this solder method:
https://forum.full30.com/t/how-to-properly-measure-enfield-303-headspace/11930

Latest posts

Top Bottom