.303 Reloaders? 1.5 MOA Enfield Jungle Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marksmandcs

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone around here is reloading .303 Brit for hunting purposes, and what kind of loads/rifle setup seems to work best as far as grouping and trajectory. I'm going to get some pictures and info to share about my Enfield No5 if there is anyone doing the same with .303 brit. I feel i've found a good load for my rifle as i am getting 1" to 2" groups (mostly 1.5") at 100 yds with, beleive it or not, my jungle carbine.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can shoot 1-2" - you can make some money this Saturday at the OKC Gunclub - we have SMLE only match @ 9am.

My accuracy/hunting load is 40.0 of IMR4064 behind 150 gn Hornady SN - but I'm nowhere as good as you are as far as groups go.

Go ahead and post your groups and loads - I'd love to see them.

marksmandcs

Marksman
Reaction score
I'd love to come but i have carpet being installed. Is it iron sights only? I've never been to OKC gun club, i don't have a membership. Give me a heads up the next time they have that going on. As far as my loads, i will get the loads up here as well as some pictures of my groups. I loaded up about 100 rounds last december and have been shooting them all year and haven't made any more. I shot a couple pigs and the rest of it went through paper. I just felt like getting back into it.

I have used the 150 gr Hornady and got decent groups with IMR 4895 using loads from the Hornady handbook (i'll go look up how many grains i used). I slugged my barrel and measured 0.312" so this is an ideal bullet diameter for me. I made a dummy round and used it to measure the distance to the start of the rifling from the chamber. I then backed off my bullet seat depth an appropriate amount. I then shot several groups with different bullet seat depths and powder charges. I found the best combination and the groups were around 2" @ 100yds.

I wanted a lighter load since the carbine is so small and light. I always dreamt of a No5 chambered in something like 7.62x39 so decided to try some 123gr. 0.310" Hornady bullets. Those really sucked (so i have a box of maybe 80 if anyone is interested). I found that Sierra made a 125gr 0.311" bullet so I gave those a try with IMR 3031 and Accurate powder. Accuracy was decent with the 3031 at lower charges but when i increased the charge and played with the seat depth i found a sweet spot where my groups started doing 1.5" and 1" five shot groups. I think the powder load was 42 or 43 grs. and the velocity was 2300-2400 fps(again, i'll dig up my notes). I'll go print some more groups for you.

I also tried hornady 100 gr 0.312" pistol bullets with a low charge and those were fun on cans of water ands such. And they cycled through the gun too.

Notes on my setup and meathods:
Enfield No5 - I was told it was a "bring back". No import marks and had buttstock cut off. i made new stock
Bedded action with free float barrel
Reduced headspace by going from "0" to "1" bolt head
Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40
Accumount (modified for rigidity)
Groups shot with once fired neck size only cases.
No crimping
Every charge measured on the scale

I hope this picture shows:
[Broken External Image]

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is the pic :)
[Broken External Image]

You don't have to be a member to shoot, it's only $5, and first match is free. Matches are every first Saturday of the month.
Military Bolt Action Matches are iron sights only and no bedding is allowed, the only modifications allowed are trigger stoning and taller front sight.

It is good to see and old horse shooting well!

marksmandcs

Marksman
Reaction score
yes, 1895 sorry. I use hornady 139 or 140 gr(?) with IMR 4064. My data came out of the hornady book on the lower end of the charge scale. feels like i'm shooting a .223. Speaking of which, i took my sig 556 and the 1895 to the range a few weeks back and was getting better groups with the 1895 iron sights than the 4x scoped sig. I'd say my 1895 groups were 2-3" including the group spoilers and 1.5-2" excluding spoilers. I don't care what the deal with the sig was because its now sitting in a "wtf did we do wrong" pile in a Sig armory somewhere while my new one is en-route.

Latest posts

Top Bottom