$31 of pot gives mom 10-year-prison, No prior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every parent with beer in their refrigerator, or wine in the house should never be allowed to see their kids again.

If this story was about a stupid gun control law and not a stupid drug law, there would be a lot less comments about "she knew the risks" and a lot more comments about it being a stupid law. It all comes back to social norms. It's a lot easier to marginalize someone when they are different than you.

Actually, I don't own an NFA weapon because I haven't gone through the legal process and I KNOW THE RISKS of being caught in possession of such a weapon without the proper documents. Stupid laws? Yes! Am I legal? Yes!

AGI

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's just sad. Not only is her life ruined but we all pay the consequences...keeping a person fed, healthy and secure for 10 yrs cost a lot of monies. Our money to be exact...

Yeah, she shouldn't have done that but the sentence is insane...a fine and community work would have done a lot more. I know because I used to work in corrections and le.

And that comment about not being able to see her kids ever again was a joke right?

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
very well... show me ONE document instance of Pot directly causing a death.

didn't think so...

you'd think out of the billions and billions of folks that's used Pot...something over hundreds of years would have showed up.

Here is one story where 4 children plus the pot smoking driver in a one car crash.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2002/apr/06/driver-in-day-care-fatalities-had-pot/
"However, the grandmother of two of the victims said she had complained about Hudson to the day care operators after her grandchildren told her that Hudson had smoked marijuana on the van."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2002/apr/11/day-care-driver-often-nodded-off-at-wheel/
"Investigators also said that tests had confirmed the presence of THC in Hudson's blood, the active ingredient in marijuana. Further tests are needed to determine when he last used pot."

http://www.katinkahesselink.net/health/canabis.html
From the end of the article.
"United States data from the Drug Abuse Warning Network, based on those counties in which medical examiners test for cannabis, indicates that out of 664 reported cannabis related deaths in 1999 some 28% or 187 involved cannabis only. (This would suggest an average of 10 deaths per year in Australia that were cannabis related only.
United Kingdom data report some cannabis related deaths that were caused by inhalation of vomit while intoxicated only on cannabis."

I don't give a damn if you want to smoke weed. Just don't act like it has no downside.

But I'm with you that 10 years for this woman is excessive. Especially considering we treat pedophiles less harshly.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If she serves much more than a year it will because she couldn't follow the rules in prison either.

She has another charge of possession (but no intent to distribute) that was filed 6 days after her discussed conviction. It is unclear whether that is related or separate, since I don't do the legwork to get access to documents unless they are important to me in some way. However, she appeared with an attorney on the distribution charge and entered a blind guilty plea, and initially appeared pro se on the possession charge and entered a not guilty plea.

I would have to ask on the blind guilty... is her attorney one of the many dump trucks we have around here? (For those that don't know what I mean, I'm referring to attorneys who advise a guilty plea for an easy in-and-out even on cases where many technicalities or even sheer lack of real evidence, generally because they are planning to seek a public office in a few years and don't want to be haunted by the stigma of "helping a criminal walk free".)

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a big difference. Marijuana is a naturally occurring plant. Heroin is a manufactured substance.

I thought heroin came from opium. Isn't opium a plant as well? Also, doesn't marijuana need to be cultivated to obtain enough THC to give you a high?

I was just seeing if the OP would have the same opinion if the drug were changed.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2002/apr/11/day-care-driver-often-nodded-off-at-wheel/
"Investigators also said that tests had confirmed the presence of THC in Hudson's blood, the active ingredient in marijuana. Further tests are needed to determine when he last used pot."

First, if he used and then drove while still under the influence, then it's driving under the influence which is the same as if someone had had a few drinks and then was driving.

Second, the keyword is "when". Metabolized THC will stay in your system at detectable levels for a couple of weeks (depending on many personal factors). So theoretically, he could have smoked a joint two weeks prior and still tested positive for THC at the time of the accident.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only difference between her and the ones who get away with it is the amount of money they have to spend on lawyers and whatever else it takes to get over on the legal system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom