$31 of pot gives mom 10-year-prison, No prior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It just gets old, that's all. Decades of this intrusive, archaic, money wasting crap sold under the guise of "keeping us safe". It doesn't work, it's never worked, and it's almost humorous to see stories like this in the news in 2011.

I don't do things (intentionally) that could land me jail time because I'm not stupid. I'm sure that woman is stupider than I am. I think this article proves that. I'll never be in her shoes because I make better life decisions. But damn, I guess I feel that non-stupid people speaking out on the ridiculousness of things like this is the only way attitudes will change. Stupid sentencing for a stupid woman doesn't make a smart anything. It's all a joke.

For some philosophical questions that might be a little more on topic than the legalization debate: At what point is a law so ridiculous/wrong that it's OK to break it? Who defines that line, who makes that decision? There are people held up as heroes in the history books for breaking laws, what exactly separates them from Sally Threejoints here?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some philosophical questions that might be a little more on topic than the legalization debate: At what point is a law so ridiculous/wrong that it's OK to break it? Who defines that line, who makes that decision?

Man, that's a good question, and a good point. It's funny how programmed we are to just do as we're told, no matter how asinine whatever we're told to do is. After all, our benevolent gummint might come take us away if we don't.....

And again, we wave our flags and proclaim ourselves "free". I quit believing that fairy tale some time ago.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some philosophical questions that might be a little more on topic than the legalization debate: At what point is a law so ridiculous/wrong that it's OK to break it? Who defines that line, who makes that decision? There are people held up as heroes in the history books for breaking laws, what exactly separates them from Sally Threejoints here?

When it is to the point that alcohol and tobacco are legal and cause as many deaths as they do, yet a weed that has 0 deaths caused by it, impossible to overdose, and can be used as medicine is illegal. That is when it is ridiculous. Who defines the line? The same idiots that made the law in the first place.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The comments from the judge about the woman's role in a larger conspiracy to sell drugs sounded rather odd to me - like she was overstepping her role and serving as prosecuter as well. However I say that without knowing what evidence was presented in court.

A couple of young men from our town committed an inside job robbery at a Lawton bank - they both got a little bit of time and one was arrested again about two weeks ago on burglary charges from a string of rural thefts. Not a lot of consistency for sure - it seems like when a person gets a sentence for the first time on a non-violent crime they usually get just enough time for a 'taste' of what prison is really like.

Ten years does seem excessive, especially considering the 18 year old who got five years for murder. His story was in the DOK the day before.

But - bottom line is selling dope is illegal and the offender certainly knew it. :nono2:

Cedar Creek

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
can't believe some of the attitudes so far....

point of this thread is not if pot is illegal or if she should get punished.
it's the EXTREME HARSH sentence involved!

selling 2-3 joints of pot with NO prior ... ANY prison time would be a stretch... ONE year would be harsh... but TEN years is flat STUPID and raises questions about the competence and/or possible corruption of the DA and Judge.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it is to the point that alcohol and tobacco are legal and cause as many deaths as they do, yet a weed that has 0 deaths caused by it, impossible to overdose, and can be used as medicine is illegal. That is when it is ridiculous. Who defines the line? The same idiots that made the law in the first place.

How can you say weed has caused no deaths? Im sure no one has ever had a fatal car accident under the influence of pot. Or some pothead has never robbed a house while high and gotten shot. Or nobody has ever incurred a debt with a drug dealer that got them hurt or killed. Or some mother has never neglected their children and had them die while high.

Im not anti legalization of weed necessarily, but to act like it is pure as the wind driven snow is erroneous. It is still a drug and will cause problems like all drugs.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
can't believe some of the attitudes so far....

point of this thread is not if pot is illegal or if she should get punished.
it's the EXTREME HARSH sentence involved!

selling 2-3 joints of pot with NO prior ... ANY prison time would be a stretch... ONE year would be harsh... but TEN years is flat STUPID and raises questions about the competence and/or possible corruption of the DA and Judge.

This begs the question. If she had been selling heroin instead of pot, would your opinion be any different?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
very easy!

there has been NONE... ZERO ... NADA ... not one documented instance of pot directly causing a death.

you would think out the the billions of users in the history of pot use... if Pot was dangerous ... ONE document instance would show up.

don't get me wrong ... Pot is dope and will get you high .. why do you think they call it dope? but the worst documented side effect so far is the munchies.

it's a documented fact most pot users will quit on their own about age 35.

How can you say weed has caused no deaths? Im sure no one has ever had a fatal car accident under the influence of pot. Or some pothead has never robbed a house while high and gotten shot. Or nobody has ever incurred a debt with a drug dealer that got them hurt or killed. Or some mother has never neglected their children and had them die while high.

Im not anti legalization of weed necessarily, but to act like it is pure as the wind driven snow is erroneous. It is still a drug and will cause problems like all drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom