.338 Lapua

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're looking at $380 for a Broughton...shipped and that does not include any of the machine work for chamber, threads, muzzle brake, crown, fluting anyone, metal finish......
Why build a gun if you're going to use cheese parts. Might as well buy a factory gun. A quality Broughton, Krieger, Hart..... will only cost another $100-150 more than a Pac-Nor (decent) or whatever.

I was thinking of a Shilen, but a Broughten isn't what I would consider cheese parts by any means. So I was $30 off - no big deal.

And if you couldn't tell, I was being facitious by showing that the absolute cheapest route to .338LM is about $2k

Lighten up Francis :D

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good thing about building the rifle you want is that you don't have to dump that $2K at one time! heck I've been gathering parts for me 338 Edge for the last couple of months now if I could just finish the others I might be able to put more into the edge! when the 308 is done I'll start again on the Edge, as soon as the 284 gets back from the the finisher yadda yadda. I gotta find a cheaper hobby :wink2:

Not to talk you out of a 338 but if your gonna punch paper the 7WSM with the Berger 180's is just awsome! I want to say the 1 mile record was made with the 7 WSM but I heard that from another person so don't stretch my neck if it's wrong. Later,

Kirk

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
dustin, if you are getting a 338; better stock up on bullets now...
(shameless plug for my hornady certificate in the classifieds).

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking of a Shilen, but a Broughten isn't what I would consider cheese parts by any means. So I was $30 off - no big deal.

And if you couldn't tell, I was being facitious by showing that the absolute cheapest route to .338LM is about $2k

Lighten up Francis :D

I think that you misunderstood me. The difference between a quality barrel and a so-so barrel isn't that great of a difference.
I have a Broughton on my .338 and one on my 7mm project.
I just think some people are underestimating the cost of putting together a rifle. Heck, just price a McMillan stock nowadays.

Latest posts

Top Bottom