3d printer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
aimgs.xkcd.com_comics_3d_printer.png

http://xkcd.com/924/

Lol, in all seriousness though, there's some pretty novel ideas out there when it comes to this stuff (laser sintering, extrusion, etc)

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both my previous job and my current job have one of these: http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-printers/3d-printing-1200es.aspx

The dimension printers can take a LOOOONG time though, depending on the part. And those particular styles have 2 types of plastic: one is the actual ABS plastic, and the other is the support plastic. Once the model is done, you have to let it soak in a wash tank with a special chemical to dissolve the support plastic away and leave your part. The Z corp machines work differently though. They use a powder/resin method. The machine gets a nice even layer of powder, then applies resin in the right places, then it reapplies a layer of powder, then resin, rinse and repeat. The Z corp machines can do some cool things to. I've seen a demo part that was essentially a roller bearing, but it was printed all at once as a single assembly. Then of course, there's stereo lithography.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both my previous job and my current job have one of these: http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-printers/3d-printing-1200es.aspx

The dimension printers can take a LOOOONG time though, depending on the part. And those particular styles have 2 types of plastic: one is the actual ABS plastic, and the other is the support plastic. Once the model is done, you have to let it soak in a wash tank with a special chemical to dissolve the support plastic away and leave your part. The Z corp machines work differently though. They use a powder/resin method. The machine gets a nice even layer of powder, then applies resin in the right places, then it reapplies a layer of powder, then resin, rinse and repeat. The Z corp machines can do some cool things to. I've seen a demo part that was essentially a roller bearing, but it was printed all at once as a single assembly. Then of course, there's stereo lithography.

I setup a Dimension Elite printer for some engineers here at Tinker a couple of years ago. We were blown away by what it does. Even though it can take hours to print something the size of your fist, it's amazing to watch and if I had the time, I could definitely sit and stare through an entire print job.

Very, very awesome (but expensive!) printer.

STWshooter87

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
the dimension printers are awesome, Jay Leno seems to be a fan of them too.

I am the 3D Printer Director in my company. We use it to create rapid prototypes during product development. It's where all the new electronic devices and toys begin their lives. It's called Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) and it's like weedeater twine meets hot glue gun meets printer. My team has printed nearly 1000 prototypes over the last 3 years since purchasing the one Jay Leno has in this video. I don't like the ZCorp machine because the printed parts are spongy and feel like seashells so they're really brittle. The Dimension line of printers are made by Stratasys and they print rugged fully functional ABS plastic models. Really fantastic devices.

It pays for itself every year it is in operation.

Yes you could print a gun but the barrel would blow apart IF you could indeed print a rigid enough firing pin/striker/hammer. LOL

We are one of 3 in Stillwater (that I know about)

Last edited by a moderator:

STWshooter87

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The washer handle on my wife's front loading Whirlpool Duet kept breaking because the design is CRAP! It was under warranty so every month after we bought it the door handle broke so I called the service people and they would gladly order me one and bring it to me at no cost. After this went on for like a year....I reverse engineered the handle, beefed it up with some thicker stiffeners, and 3d printed it. Mounted it and it has been in service for 2 years now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom