Ordered a New 3D Printer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My eldest, eighteen, and a wanna-be mechanical engineer has us convinced we need a 3D printer upgrade. He's presently using a Creality Ender 3 S1 Plus. His latest project is a RC car capable of hitting almost 40 mph. PLA parts keep breaking and he hopes more exotic filaments might be part of the solution. We're looking at Jason's latest (Bambu Labs X-1 Carbon), pondered their "industrial" variant X1E, or the Creality K1 Max. Any suggestions on an enclosed printer will be welcome.
Steer clear of the K1 printers, I hear a lot of horror stories about them. Bambu may be coming out with something larger after the first of the year, how soon do you need it?

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Jason! We were pondering ordering something today. The K1 Max has mostly good reviews on Amazon. From my son's perspective, the open-source model of Creality may be a benefit over Bambu. He's a tinkerer.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Jason! We were pondering ordering something today. The K1 Max has mostly good reviews on Amazon. From my son's perspective, the open-source model of Creality may be a benefit over Bambu. He's a tinkerer.
I was looking at the reviews of the K1 Max and if you drill down into them, it has some stinkers. You definitely would need to tinker with a Creality printer, they are known for that. One big question is, does he want to print with multi materials? If so the Bambu or a Prusa with MMU is the only thing he can look at essentially. I use it more for loading up multiple rolls of the same filament and it will auto switch over after running out of the first one. No having to come and reload it or have it sit idle waiting for you. You can also look at the P1S if he wants to save a few bucks with the Bambu. Just put a hardened steel nozzle and gear on it and you have 90% of what the X1C does.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Auto switching to the same filament with an AMS when one runs out is a benefit of the Bambu printer we’d not discussed. Being able to keep using the same software he’s already learned would be a benefit of the Creality. Thanks again!

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Auto switching to the same filament with an AMS when one runs out is a benefit of the Bambu printer we’d not discussed. Being able to keep using the same software he’s already learned would be a benefit of the Creality. Thanks again!
You can use Orca slicer with both the Bambu and the Creality if your looking for something more open. Another thing to consider.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kevin says buy the AMS!

PXL_20231226_011030206.jpg

Painted in Bambu Studio and printed on the AMS

Latest posts

Top Bottom