401k contribution - Yay or Nay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
and that is why nothing will ever change.

everyone should be divesting.
I’m not saying don’t manage your account, I’m saying take advantage of dollar cost averaging.

I dumped almost all of my stocks when Biden was elected. The fund I was in was about 25 when I sold, it’s 18ish now.

When you say everyone should digest what does that mean? Hold cash?

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Moved all of mine to cash, contribute to get the match and I’m still in the positive but it has slowed to a crawl from the previous 2 years of sprinting.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't read all the replies, but I 100% think you should put your 6% in and get the full match. Stocks are down and heading further down. You're getting them half price too because of contribution matching. The market won't fall 50%, especially if conservatives take the house and senate.
If you can afford it, it's easy "free" money.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’m not saying don’t manage your account, I’m saying take advantage of dollar cost averaging.

I dumped almost all of my stocks when Biden was elected. The fund I was in was about 25 when I sold, it’s 18ish now.

When you say everyone should digest what does that mean? Hold cash?
i just don't think anyone is changing the game by sitting down at the table and having a play. money is power and the power of people's money is used collectively against them.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever % I contribute, the company will match it but only up to 6%.

As much as you can afford that the plan will allow. If they allow 14% and you can afford to live without it contribute 14%. If that is 8% then it’s 8%. If it’s 4%, you need to figure out a way to live with contributing 6%.

Get in as soon as they will let you in. As you get raises, roll them into the contribution. Lots of plans have an option to auto raise it 1% a year til you reach the max.

If your company has a matching plan and you aren’t in it you’re screwing yourself, and I don’t mean a little I mean a lot and to the tune of millions of future $’s. Millions, if you’re still young. If you can’t afford to be in your plan, you absolutely can’t afford to not be in your plan. Get in your plan.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever % I contribute, the company will match it but only up to 6%.
I would contribute the 6% at the minimum. If you don’t, you are giving up free money. Even if the market does not come back for 2-3 years, your contributions at low cost is doubled by your company match and you will reap the benefits in the future. Add compounding interest and it is a win, win, win over the long haul.

Latest posts

Top Bottom