401k contribution - Yay or Nay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifishok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the beginning of the year I lost about 10% of my IRA and 401k, I knew when creepy old Joe was placed into office 2 years ago things would change in the market. How they changed was a mystery, I moved things around and the 401k after taking some hits is in a cash only type of fund now, still getting the company matching up to 6%, but not losing lots of money, and not making lots either. Staying there for a while because I think the market is going down more.

As far as my IRA, that’s a hit and miss strategy, right now I’m in energy mutual funds and they been doing pretty good with all the world events. Defense funds may be a good investment, but not seeing right now. Most tech stock is a bad investment right now, even though they are low, I believe they will go lower before they get better. These are my thoughts only, not advice other than take the matching funds from your employer.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took a pretty good hit on my 401K back in 08' but I still continued contribute every spare dime I had.

Figuring that if I didn't need it in my pocket to live on before I didn't need it now when I got a yearly raise I'd up my contribution, when I got a vehicle paid off I'd up my contribution, when I paid the house off I upped it again etc.

Knowing how my luck runs and not wanting to take another hit like I did in 08' so close to retiring six months before I retired I got a hold of the bank and told them to take everything out of medium risk and told them to put everything into low / almost zero risk......glad I did because about ten days prior to my last working day the market dropped and I would have taken a pretty good hit.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm down 30% and i'm just thinking it'll take 5 years just to recoup the losses. Oh well, it's just numbers on a screen right? And I can't hold it, so therefore I technically don't own it...

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Consumer confidence may have an effect on the market after next Tuesday…
The market may plateau at least for a while. We’ll see.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Dave’s retirement advice. Definitely contribute up to the matching amount. It’s pre tax also so contributing 6% is more like 4% of your take home pay. It’s really not going to affect your pay check as much as you think it will.

Latest posts

Top Bottom