.44 Special....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
own a rossi 720, that I feel very comfortable carrying in my car. That is a big slug going down range. heavy, yes. I have heard it explained as a .44 mag without the magnum..I concur. I haven't shot it lately, but did carry it in my truck for a long time. I like the elmer keith 245gr slugs in it, as well as some of berrys plated hp's that are good. For factory ammo if you are purchasing, CCI makes a nasty HP.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

A long time ago I had a Ruger 50th anniversary 357 and I loved everything about it except I just couldn't warm up to the 357 for some reason so I sold it. Many people over at the Ruger forum have been sending that mid size frame in for 44 special conversions such that Ruger finally made a factory 44 special on the mid frame a couple of years ago. It started as a Lipseys exclusive and became a catalog item. I finally picked one up so I could see what the fuss is about and I've got to say it is a fun shooter. There is an article in the Handloader #260 on it and that talks about loading it to the 25K pressure level (IIRC 44 Special is officially 15.5K), offering the power of 1200 fps for a 240gr bullet. That would surely be some magnum performance from the "special". I'm sticking to low pressure levels for fun shootin'

Good luck!!

Alan

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Compare the .44 Special and .44 Magnum to the .38 Special and .357 Magnum. Same slug (more or less) different length cases and much different recoil. Can chamber the .44 Special in a .44 Magnum chambered revolver, but not vice/versa, just like the .38 Special/.357 Magnums.

The only difference, of course, is the larger diameter projectile from the .44 family compared to the .35 calibers.

When I owned a .44 Special, I took it out and shot some jugs filled with water, expecting a large explosion. Didn't happen. :disappoin To get those kind of results, you gotta go with the Magnums.

.44 Special has it's cult followers just like every other round out there...mostly cowboy shooters...and yeah, it's a helluva lotta fun to shoot. If money were no object, I'd own another S&W model 624 just for shits and grins. :D

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day, I owned a 4" S&W Model 24 for a few years. I simply did not enjoy shooting it as much as I enjoyed the 6 1/2" Model 29 I had about that time. The lighter, near pencil barrel of the Model 24 made even .44 Special standard velocity loads unpleasant. Even with the same grips (Pachmayr's I'd imagine) I much preferred the 29, probably because it had more recoil-damping weight out at the muzzle.

Not a bad caliber IMO, but there are better choices out there, especially when today's technology is applied.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

probably because it had more recoil-damping weight out at the muzzle.

It is surprising how much of a difference that longer barrel weight can make when shooting 44 magnum in a six gun. I really prefer the shorter barrels 4 5/8" for the way they balance and look, but for full power 44 magnum, the 6.5" was a much more comfortable gun to shoot than the short barrel.

Good luck,

Alan

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

A long time ago I had a Ruger 50th anniversary 357 and I loved everything about it except I just couldn't warm up to the 357 for some reason so I sold it. Many people over at the Ruger forum have been sending that mid size frame in for 44 special conversions such that Ruger finally made a factory 44 special on the mid frame a couple of years ago. It started as a Lipseys exclusive and became a catalog item. I finally picked one up so I could see what the fuss is about and I've got to say it is a fun shooter. There is an article in the Handloader #260 on it and that talks about loading it to the 25K pressure level (IIRC 44 Special is officially 15.5K), offering the power of 1200 fps for a 240gr bullet. That would surely be some magnum performance from the "special". I'm sticking to low pressure levels for fun shootin'

Good luck!!

Alan

What I was comparing in the Mod 24 (4") vs Mod 29 (6.5") was mid-range target loads. Load was 7.5 gr Unique under a 240 gr cast Keith-style SWC. The Mod 24 was not comfortable even with this mild load. My normal target/practice load for the .44 Mag is the same mentioned bullet with the powder charge of Unique increased to 9 gr. In a 6" S&W it's a pussycat to shoot and is quite accurate out to 100 yds and beyond.

The 4" Mod 24 was simply not my cup of tea. Too heavy/big for what it could do. Give me a 4" 686 over one of them, all day long.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i1036.photobucket.com_albums_a450_1mathom1_shooting_624resize.jpg

I like it. Warm up reloads for a thumper that's easy to handle or back off for plinkers. Bullets are easy to find and one of the local WalMarts has the Winchester Cowboy load if I need brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom