.44 Special....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i1036.photobucket.com_albums_a450_1mathom1_shooting_624resize.jpg

I like it. Warm up reloads for a thumper that's easy to handle or back off for plinkers. Bullets are easy to find and one of the local WalMarts has the Winchester Cowboy load if I need brass.

One of my grail guns! :clap3:

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my grail guns! :clap3:

It is fun. Stumbled across it at Best Pawn is Stilly YEARS ago and the wife bought it for my b-day. When I got it, the grips were gone (had Smith Pachmayrs from a later N-fame) and the holster was no where to be seen. Finally found the grips for a small phenominal fee and watched for the holster for at least a year on ebay. The holster slots have been modified for a wider belt but I think I can clean them up and re-dye the raw leather.
Action has been worked......man is it nice. It is definitely a shooter....not a safe queen.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when i was 12 my grandfather gave me a charter bulldog,i carried it every where i went and used it on everything from snakes to coyotes to javalina to mexican bandits .worked every time

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is fun. Stumbled across it at Best Pawn is Stilly YEARS ago and the wife bought it for my b-day. When I got it, the grips were gone (had Smith Pachmayrs from a later N-fame) and the holster was no where to be seen. Finally found the grips for a small phenominal fee and watched for the holster for at least a year on ebay. The holster slots have been modified for a wider belt but I think I can clean them up and re-dye the raw leather.
Action has been worked......man is it nice. It is definitely a shooter....not a safe queen.

The first one I ever saw was on the hip of my ol' buddy Will Andrews up at H&H gun range. I was in CLEET at the time...it was at DPS at 36th & MLK back then (summer 1990). I like to refer to this era as the downfall and the "winter" of the poor wheelgun's service life. :bye:

It was during the transition period when everybody had discovered the wonder-nine and was switching over to wretched bottom-feeders, jam-o-matics, Dick Tracy guns - whatever you wanted to call 'em.

Even though I too wanted to jump on the automatic band wagon, and even had the weapon and duty rig for it, I still loved and trusted my revolver.

A local deputy where I worked had a 624 and he and I worked up an outlandish trade. I swapped him my beloved Smith & Wesson 645, the very pistol I was gonna take to semi-auto transition school, qualify with and carry on duty, along with 5 magazines, a complete duty rig, 500 rounds of ammo and $100 cash for that snub-nosed beauty.

I kept it until I discovered the Glock 22 the very next year and alas, I've been a plastic guy ever since. Sorta. :rolleyes2

I do have a soft spot in my heart for good ol' Smith & Wesson revolvers and yeah, I still wish I had that ol' 624 back. Like most all of the S&W wheelies I've turned loose of over the years, she too was a sweet shooter. :cry3:

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a S&W model 296, titanium/scandium hump back hammerless frame (like a 340 PD).Very light, 5 shot, a little snappy with Cor Bon 180 gr. loads.It's kind of ugly but carries really well.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 6" 624 and the 44special just doesn't do much for me. Don't see the power benefit over 357Mag, shells are hard to find, and reloadable brass is even harder to find.

Is this the Jack T originally from Pawnee?
Maybe you and I need to talk about that 624.

Latest posts

Top Bottom